Leg bumbs.. is it the nail in the coffin that means Betty is a Bob?

tsuninight

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Maricopa, AZ
Hello again,

I haven't had any crowing, or really anything in particular that makes me think that Betty is a Bob, but I've been paranoid about it since I picked her up and was told she wasn't "sure" if she was a girl or a boy.

Today Betty was stalking us by the window as we were watching TV and eating dinner when I thought I saw something on one of her legs. Betty may not be the most friendly chicken, but I don't really want to get rid of her either... but if Betty is a Bob I'm going to see if I can give "her" back to the breeder. It actually rather bums me out. Can hens have pimples on their feet? I'm guessing I'm still wishing to be in denial and Betty is growing spurs.

Back pic: She's pretty freaked out here. She forced us to chase her around the yard like 3 times before getting caught. Funny part is all three other chickens just stood in the coop and stared at her. She's the most skittish. She doesn't normally look quite this frazzled.

Feet

Side:

Last edited:
All chickens have spur bumps. That doesn't mean anything at this age. They won't begin to get bigger on a rooster for several months.
I'm sorry, but I really can't tell if your chicken is a hen or rooster. I'm thinking rooster, though.
How old is it?

I'm not sure how old she actually. I know she's older than my other chickens. lol "as far as I can tell" she hasn't gotten much bigger since we got her in late April.

Here's a pic of her right after we got her. (as in we got her home and took pics)

I'm really glad to hear that all chickens have spur bumps. I thought it was only male chickens. I shall continue to wait for an egg or crowing then.

She's the most effective member of my strike team of bug killing featherd ninja's so I'd really hate to get rid of her, or find out she's a he.

Hence I keep asking ppl.

I appreciate the tolerance lol.

Last edited:
Well Betty, now referred to as Bettybob decided to come out of the closet today as notagirl. I let them out of the coup and wandered back in. Bettybob hopped up on the coup and gave this crow that sounded like she'd he'd been smoking for 50 years. It was actully kind of pathetic, but i turn around from behind the glass slider and stared in sorrow. So Bettybob hopped down from the top of the coup trotted right up to the glass slider and did it again. I think he was proud of himself.

About 2 hrs later after it was at a reasonable time, I'd picked up my fiance from the airport, told him the bad news, and got back to Maricopa I texted his breeder. She apologized and was willing to take him back. I'm going to get another one from her tomorrow. I had to hold myself in check from laughing when she peered in the cat carrier I brought him back in and said "Oh, wow he's ugly. He doesn't look like the other ones". Bettybob hasn't actually changed much in looks since I got him. A few more feathers around the face, but about the same. I joked that she'd picked out the ugly chicken, and she just said it was the one she'd caught. I thought it was hilarious. Bother her and her mom are very nice. She says she hasn't noticed any of the others crowing, so hopefully this time I'll get a girl. :D

I am glad they took Bettybob back though though. I was afraid if I put him on craigslit he'd end up in a fighting ring. I was less worried about him becoming someone's dinner, but I just didn't have the heart to eat him. I just don't eat my pets, and these are most definitely pets. So today is sad because I lost my best bug hunter, but I'm glad he's going back to a good home.

Back
Top Bottom