Leg color

Malorum

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2021
Hello all,

I have a few questions about leg colour and need help applying that knowledge to my partridge chantecler. The hen shown below is the only PC hen I have and have seen that looks like this and there are a few things about her that I really like so I want to keep her around and see what can be done with her offspring. One thing I don't like is her leg colour, I'd like more of a yellow. If you could help me out with the below it would be much appreciated!

1) what would you call the leg color shown in the photo? The backsides are a browny yellow and on the front there is quite a bit of brown/black.

2) Are yellow legs dominant or recessive? Is there a co-dominancy? Is leg colour passed on by the hen, rooster or both?

3) to acheive yellow legs in her offspring, what is the best course of action? Pair her with a yellow legged rooster and select for yellow legs and continue this process?

Attachments

• 20201231_202427.jpg
    20201231_202427.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 45
That's exactly what you'd do. Intentionally select a breeder then cull offspring, weed out the undesired traits. Rinse and repeat. Your main goal is to eliminate the dark pigment on legs but there will be other characteristics selected for or weeded out in offspring every generation.

That dark wash will not disappear. It needs to be bred out. It's excessive melanin that needs to be bred out of the gene pool.

Hens express it more than cocks. Some "wash" on front of legs is ok for many breeds. Some breeds simply gave up and dark legs are the standard- Australs and such. I'm not a fan of it either and prefer bright yellow too.

That dark wash will not disappear. It needs to be bred out. It's excessive melanin that needs to be bred out of the gene pool.

Hens express it more than cocks. Some "wash" on front of legs is ok for many breeds. Some breeds simply gave up and dark legs are the standard- Australs and such. I'm not a fan of it either and prefer bright yellow too.
It disappears as Barred Rock pullets mature into a bright yellow. So I don't see why it won't fade with this breed.

3) to acheive yellow legs in her offspring, what is the best course of action? Pair her with a yellow legged rooster and select for yellow legs and continue this process?

Yes.

If you do not get any yellow legged offspring, then take some of what you do get and cross them to a yellow legged bird and you should get some with yellow legs in that next generation.

How does excess melanin work genetically? It is something that will be diluted over time or will some offspring have it and others will not?

Yes.

If you do not get any yellow legged offspring, then take some of what you do get and cross them to a yellow legged bird and you should get some with yellow legs in that next generation.

If i were to go the second route would it be better to cross a yellow legged male with one of my hens or vice versa?

Back
Top Bottom