ThatGuy13

Hatching
Jun 17, 2019
South Alabama
Ok so my first attempt at breeding has failed. I misunderstood and bred a Leghorn Rooster with Rhode Island Reds trying to make Golden Comets. I know where I went wrong but what do I have hatching. They are a combination of Black, whitish yellow, and brown chicks popping out of their eggs.

Can you give a picture of this Leghorn rooster? A Leghorn should carry two copies of dominant white and two copies of the extended black pattern; every single one of his offspring should inherit dominant white and a black pattern gene and be solid white, maybe with a few black speckles.

EDT: Incidentally, RIRs are slow-feathering and Leghorns are fast-feathering. So any chick that is feathering in faster than the others are should be female.

Last edited:
Can you give a picture of this Leghorn rooster? A Leghorn should carry two copies of dominant white and two copies of the extended black pattern; every single one of his offspring should inherit dominant white and a black pattern gene and be solid white, maybe with a few black speckles.

EDT: Incidentally, RIRs are slow-feathering and Leghorns are fast-feathering. So any chick that is feathering in faster than the others are should be female.

Attachments

• ABA46D8E-54E6-4273-BCFA-9F47EB3E46AA.jpeg
    ABA46D8E-54E6-4273-BCFA-9F47EB3E46AA.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom