Leg Mites? How to Treat? Please Help! Pics. Included!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without skin scrapings and a microscope I can't say. If it were me? I'd treat anyway, if nothing else it may help promote healing.

Diatomaceous earth is a good preventative, but not so good as a cure. It's commonly referred to as food grade DE.

You may have to back him into a corner, catch him and cage him. If it is mites, they will spread through the flock. Normal quarantine time is at least 30 days before introducing a new bird.

I see your sig line says he is a RIR? Nope, he's a mix, possibly some Golden Comet. Either way, he's a great looking rooster!

Last edited:
UUUHHHHGGGG. I'm so sick and tired of people telling me he is not RIR. Just Google white Rhode Island Reds, scroll down a few pages and there will be a pic of a roo that looks just like him. Please, I know he is RIR. Just in his own way. His genetics are definately RIR purebred, but there can be different colors of RIRs. I did read that in a chicken breeds book.

Quote:
RIR=Rhode Island RED....not white. He is also not a Rhode Island White. RIWs are white birds with no other colors. He is more than likely a mix of breeds.....doesn't make him a bad bird.....just not a RIR.

Quote:
RIR=Rhode Island RED....not white. He is also not a Rhode Island White. RIWs are white birds with no other colors. He is more than likely a mix of breeds.....doesn't make him a bad bird.....just not a RIR.

I agree, he is definately NOT a RIW. Looks like a mix to me.

This makes me so mad!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
barnie.gif

I'm tired of people mentioning that Jasper doesnt look like a RIR!!! This thread IS NOT about whether or not my Jasper is RIR, because I know he is. Scaley leg mites have a good chance of spreading through my flock and all you people worry about is whether or not he is RIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
BYC is about support, guidance, and education. People aren't picking on your roo - who is very pretty - they're just helping you learn. It's all very well intentioned.

Here's the cure for leg mite that I've used for years:
The following comments are from web chats:
A while back I took my Frizzle Rooster to my Avian vet for a pedicure,
because his spurs were sooooo HUGE, I was afraid to cut them...Filing
would have been futile.
She said he had mites. I said IMPOSSIBLE!
She scraped his scaly feet and under the microscope, showed me the
creepy crawly gross, crab like yucky's. At the time, I didn't think scaly
feet had anything to do with mites. And because they can’t be seen with
the naked eye....who'd have thunk it? Momma Frizzle had scaly feet, too.
Anyway, her prescription:
4 CC/ML Ivermectin (INJECTABLE) in ONE gallon of water, 3 days,
repeat in 14 days. No other source of water should be provided.
Their feet, looked like new born baby feet after about a week. The scale
just disappeared.
Vet also said that if they have any mites of their body's they would bite
and die from the Ivermectin.
Same treatment for Coccidia, by the way.
I've NEVER had a mite, lice or any creepy crawly problem.
Hope this helps.

Why the heck would yo want him to be an RIR?? Horrible nasty roosters generally-I've been attacked by them more than anything else. I had a gorgeous roo who looked just like your boy. He is my favorite rooster of all time. He was soooo sweet & I raised him in the house. Here of some shots of him in the background:
Syrius008-1.jpg

Syrius100.jpg

Quote:
Geez, temper, temper......we're just trying to help you out. If I was misidentifying one of my birds I'd want to know what he really was. You need the face the fact, he's not an RIR and whoever sold him to you as that was not correct. And yes, it looks like he's got a case of scaley mites which I'm sure by now has spread to your other birds since you didn't quarentine him.

Quote:
You have made over 150 posts which means you HAVE to have stumbled around this forum for awhile now. I find it DIFFICULT to believe that you haven't seen ANY of the numerous posts about scaly leg mites or the NECESSITY of quarantining a new bird. This is not IMing- it takes awhile for people to read and respond to your question (which isn't life or death by the way). You are being hostile for absolutely no reason- everyone who has responded has tried to help you. May I suggest using sugar to catch flies instead of the acid you are attempting.

Oh, and BTW YOUR ROO IS A VERY PRETTY MUTT!!!!! I find it VERY hard to believe that you are able to tell the difference between an EXTREMELY poorly marked RIR and a pretty mutt roo and yet not know to quarantine a new bird. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MUTTS, I have a few, but I DO take offense to you planning on breeding purebred chicks (and selling them) when EVERYONE on BYC has told you that he is NOT a RIR.

The fact that you have scaley leg mites running through your flock is your own fault. The fact that you let a rooster loose with your freeranging flock and now cannot catch him is your fault. The fact that you haven't figured out that chickens turn into zombies at night is because you are not paying attention to your own flock. Prior posters have GRACIOUSLY taken time out of their own day and given you many different remedies for scaley leg mites and all you care about is whether BYC thinks your mutt roo is purebred or NOT.

Be as mad as you like- I'm not that happy with you either!!

Quote:
I see you are frustrated. But when your sig line says something wrong I feel I should mention it. Same I would hope for when I am mistaken. You have already had lots of good advice about treating the scaly leg mites, it's now up to you to treat it and I wish you success. Diligence is the biggest thing.

Your neighbor was mistaken about the breed. Happens all the time. Just 10-11 days ago you weren't too sure either. You were right, he is a mix, and as everyone has said, a very nice one! Here's the link to your own threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383163

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383383

It really doesn't matter, he is a gorgeous rooster and has a condition that is easily treated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom