Leg Mites? How to Treat? Please Help! Pics. Included!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickLover98

The Chicken Princess
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hi. This is Jasper. We rescued him from our neighbor who had four other bigger roos, Jasper was always getting beaten up and fought for his food. We decided to rescue him and try for chicks in the fall. My neighbor let him free range on their property, which was really rough because there was debris everywhere like scraps of metal and barbed wire. When we got him, his feet were in bad shape. They are slowly clearing up, but I want to know... Is it leg mites or are they just beat up?

Here is a pic:
55349_chickies_2010_047.jpg

Here he is:
55349_chickies_2010_032.jpg

55349_chickies_2010_029.jpg

Hope someone can help!! Thanks!

Last edited:
There is some special earth called Diatomaceous earth. This is the ultimate parasite killer. Apart from mites on legs, it will also kill possible invaders on the feathers too. I guess you can find this in any kind of pet shop. Make sure that you buy the one that is safe if the birds eat it. There is also a version of this earth that is used on buildings....

BYC is really cool. I found info about this helpful kind of Earth here.

Looks like leg mites to me. I've never had to treat for them but I know the concept is to coat the legs in any kind of oil or petroleum jelly to smother them. Apparently it has to be repeated daily for a couple of weeks. Then a gentle scrubbing to get the damaged scales off.

Do a search above for scaly leg mites, there should be lots of info. Poor guy, glad you got him!
He's a handsome rooster!

Hmm... thanks, but my other question is Is it really leg mites or is it from his bad living conditions at his old home?

I usually put vaseline on the legs and dust the chicken with seven dusts for the mites. I put the vaseline on everyday till his feet look better. For some reason only my roosters gets mites.

First, take a deep breath and try to relax. Old people like me take time to wake up...
caf.gif

First, always remember when you adopt, buy, or rescue a chicken, they need to be quarantined. Scaley leg mites live in the coop as well as on the chicken, so everything will need to be cleaned. Pull all the litter out and clean the coop thoroghly. Dust the coop with sevin dust, and replace with clean litter. Remove the bird, and soak his legs in lukewarm water for a few minutes. Find a soft bristled brush and gently scrub his legs and feet thoroughly- you can use a diluted betadine/iodine solution for this. Once clean, dry the legs thoroughly and apply a thick coat of vaseline. You may also want to check the roo over for other types of mites, whilst you have him handy.

Good luck with your new boy.
smile.png
He's a handsome devil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom