Leg Mites? How to Treat? Please Help! Pics. Included!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted some pictures of the RIR I used to have on this thread where you asked what an RIR should look like because you thought you've got a mutt. Don't know why you're mad at us for telling you you have a mixed breed when you yourself thought the same thing. My pictures are on this thread of yours. I can post them here too if you'd rather.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383163

Last edited:
Quote:
BYC is about support, guidance, and education. People aren't picking on your roo - who is very pretty - they're just helping you learn. It's all very well intentioned.

That. Trying to help you learn.

Quote:
First of all, honey, you need to take a deep breath.
hugs.gif
You've been told that your bird looks like he has Scaley leg mites .. not just on this thread, but on another thread.

You've also been told how to research for treatments and how to treat.

You've also been told by some pretty experienced people that your roo .. while very handsome .. is not a RIR.

Part of coming onto a board and "demanding" (if you will) attention, advice, and answers -- is the ability to LISTEN.

So you now know that:

Your roo is not a RIR
Your roo most likely has scaley leg mites.
Your roo, your flock, and your enclosures need to be treated.

Take another deep breath .. get some help rounding up your flock .. and go to work!!

There is a TREASURE in every TRIAL .. this is not a matter of life and death .. and you're learning!

Have a blessed day!

I agree!

Scaley leg mites are easy to treat! Now if we can get the wild birds to treat themselves LOL!

I do have a problem with members trying to convence themselves they have a certain breed when we know for certain that it was not so....so they still insist until a light bulb went off their heads. I think he is a lovely gentleman to his girls and please do treat him along with the girls!

Use Sevin Dust 5% in your garden supply store or Wal Mart, sprinkle it everywhere on the roosts, nesting boxes and wherever they like to dust themselves.

OP started posting on BYC less than two weeks ago and has posted 20+ thread topics. OP has been told on multiple threads the same information but instead of listening, chooses to post another thread topic.

OP would be very wise to LISTEN and LEARN from the oldtimers .. (of which I don't consider myself .. because I'm still learning) ..
wink.png

There is soooooooooooo much valuable knowledge on BYC ..

Looks like scaley leg mites to me. I dealt with this last month when DH brought a little rooster home (that AND lice...have you checked him over for lice?). Our little rooster's feet looked much worse (parts of two toes missing - maybe or maybe not mite related?), so it's definitely treatable, because his feet look great now. You will however have to catch him, so maybe you'll want to keep him in a pen for a week or so for easy access.
Every two days we soaked his feet in epsom salts/warm water for 5-10 minutes, and brushed his feet with a soft bristle tooth brush (ours has feathered feet, which was a big pain). He would actually settle down nicely once in the tub of warm water. After drying, we liberally coated each foot w/vaseline, working it in between toes, top and bottom, up the leg a ways. It was a 2 person effort, but we were diligent. Because he had lice AND mites, I gave him a small dose of Ivermectin paste too. By the 3rd treatment, his feet looked tons better, but we kept it up for a week and a half. He was NOT allowed in with my hens, because they can spread.

I don't know whether it's living conditions or not. We got our rooster from place where poop was piled up THICK on roosts, nest boxes, etc., so I assumed so. But maybe anyone can get them, but more conscientious chicken owners just notice and treat these conditions sooner?????

I've put vaseline on my birds many times, dipped legs in cooking oil, COMPLETELY cleaned the coop, and finally treated with drop on ivermectin. I have about thirty birds so this has been a lot of fun
he.gif
lol but they're all very friendly and taking it well. I've done a lot but I just want to make sure they're gone. How do you know? My birds legs weren't too severe, just scales lifting but not crusty. Can anyone tell me how to be sure they are gone?

Yes I would say that your Golden Comet Sexlink Cock Has scaly leg mites.

I soak my cochins feet in bleachy water for at least 15 minutes , dry and then apply petroleum jelly. If its a really bad case (like yours is) i use a toothpick to scoop out the leg mite poop (dont go far in you dont want to hurt him) and then beach and jelly, that way it will penetrate. if that doesnt work invermectin and/or wd-40 should do the trick.

Goodluck and Enjoy Him
smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom