Leg Problems, Frostbites or Predator?

No chicken pox in humans does not come from chickens.
I don’t know your resources if you are even able to find chicken feed in your country.
I believe that cracked corn And scraps do not hold enough nutrients for complete health. You sound like you feed a lot of animals so I understand. Do you feed grains to any of them? That would be helpful to the chickens. In winter protein is hard to come by (no bugs) do you get any eggs? Could you give up some eggs for the chickens? Scramble them (cook) and feed them back to the chickens it’s a excellent source of protein. Keep the dogs away because they’ll love them too.
Feeding bread on a regular basis can lead to crop problems. Can you cook some rice? Oatmeal or oat bran (just dried no cooking)
Sunflower seeds offer protein and fat which are needed in winter do they sell bulk bags of them in your country? Here they are fairly cheap.

I don't collect eggs, they are laying eggs even at this winter time I have seen egg here and there and ducks are laying eggs too, but somebody eats them (dogs, lol). But I have also seen the chicks eating the duck's egg.

I am feeding them cooked grains, beans, rise very often, potatoes, buckwheat, and many other cooked or uncooked vegetables because we have lots of leftovers from the house.

I do have sunflower seeds but I am throwing these to rabbit, but I did notice that many times chicken and even ducks go eat those. Many times other animals eat dog food when the dogs fool around.

I just throw the food and they choose what to eat, they are all walking and doing whatever they do on their own, I can't separate food because that will be impossible. They all live together. My dogs know to eat corn and vegetables very often and I don't know why they do that when in the other bowl they have their own food. I have even seen a sheep eating dog food, or it was tasting it, they don't like it, but chickens are crazy about dog food.

Sunflower seeds are whole, can a chicken eat whole sunflower seed? I have also throw them barley and wheat but together with corn and they only eat corn, after corn is gone then sometimes they eat the other stuff. That why I was thinking they want only corn.

Yes they eat whole sunflower seeds. Mine love them. And chickens will pick corn first. It’s like a child who eats candy but not vegetables. A diet of mostly corn causes health problems.
And I know what your talking about when they all eat each other’s food. I’ve seen cats eat cracked corn lol.
Chickens can jump up. I know your rooster can’t. But I have a friend who feeds her chickens on top of a tall drum (screws a trash can lid to the drum). So that the goats and dogs can’t get to it. Just a thought

Yea I was testing to place food on the roof, but only rooster was able to get there. The chicks IMO are too old and probably not in the best shape since they were 2 years inside the farm factory and now they are in my backyard for another 2 years, so they are already like 4 years old. Rooster is younger, like 2 years old.

here is Update:
Rooster and chicks have mites, but not only scaled leg mites, but the real mites in my country called Tekuti. It is very common here and I needed to use some powder on them. I did dust them and now rooster is mobile and chicks look better.

This all makes sense because rooster broke his spur probably on himself because I see he was scratching his bottoms very hard and probably broke the spur that way.

I also used hydrated lyme on the wooden parts of the hen house. But the most important thing to fight mites is ash, now I am collecting ash and giving them to chicks, they love it.

Ash was recommended to me by the local farmers and the funny thing is I was wondering why are rooster and chicks hugging the fence for several days all day long at the end of the backyard. The answer was they were looking at the neighbors ash hill, poor chicks were unable to get there because of the fence. Now I have bring ash to them and I am applyng dry dusty ash which should help them fight the mites.

I know probably washing legs and applying vaseline is the best treatment but it is too cold here and I was told that fighting the mites in the feathers is a priority since those can kill them.

Ash!! Awh yes what a good wintertime solution. I’ve read that too. I just didn’t remember that. It’s a old remedy. It should offer some relief especially when it’s frozen cold and readily available in winter. It may not clear them up completely but if they take to it it’ll help. I think it’s a great idea and will buy you sometime until spring. Thanks for coming back and sharing with us. I’ll be remembering this if I come across similar situations again. Dust bathing is so important for a chickens hygiene and ash in winter makes sense. Good luck & best wishes.

Yea I keep posted. Rooster is really looking good, he is still limping but the tail is no longer down, it points up and he stands up straight. Tomorrow morning I will listen to him and hopefully finally hear his lovely voice.

Back
Top Bottom