Leghorn Chick with Slipped Tendon

Lemon88

Songster
Nov 25, 2018
Hello, I have a two week old leghorn chick with a slipped tendon. The chick is not technically mine, I took him in to be a companion for another chick that had severely bent toes and the person did not care to fix unfortunately. The chicks were going to be returned once the foot issue was fixed, as I cannot have chickens where I live. However, within the last few days the other chick developed the slipped tendon. He is on aspen shreds for bedding, eats chick feed, and is given savachick vitamin supplement in his water. I have been stretching the leg and gently rolling the tendon back into place. I have taped the hock with vet wrap, but the tendon still will not hold in place. Is there anything I can do for him at home, or does he need to see a vet? Exotic vets in my area are extremely expensive so I wanted to try to fix him from home, but if needed i will get gim medical attention. Unfortunately the person who he truly belongs to does not wish to pay for him. I would likely pay for him to get treated then return him to the person who hatched him, and he would either be kept or sold and I might not know the future for him. (Gender unknown, im just using him as filler pronouns). Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help the little guy. I tried to not name them or get attached as I couldnt keep him, but I am quite emotionally invested in these chicks.

Its really unfortunate, all I seem to post about here is medical issues. I put so much effort into helping birds but I seem to always fail the poor babies.

Hes not doing any different, still has the leg in a weird position and not wanting to put weight on it.

Hello, I have a two week old leghorn chick with a slipped tendon. The chick is not technically mine, I took him in to be a companion for another chick that had severely bent toes and the person did not care to fix unfortunately. The chicks were going to be returned once the foot issue was fixed, as I cannot have chickens where I live. However, within the last few days the other chick developed the slipped tendon. He is on aspen shreds for bedding, eats chick feed, and is given savachick vitamin supplement in his water. I have been stretching the leg and gently rolling the tendon back into place. I have taped the hock with vet wrap, but the tendon still will not hold in place. Is there anything I can do for him at home, or does he need to see a vet? Exotic vets in my area are extremely expensive so I wanted to try to fix him from home, but if needed i will get gim medical attention. Unfortunately the person who he truly belongs to does not wish to pay for him. I would likely pay for him to get treated then return him to the person who hatched him, and he would either be kept or sold and I might not know the future for him. (Gender unknown, im just using him as filler pronouns). Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help the little guy. I tried to not name them or get attached as I couldnt keep him, but I am quite emotionally invested in these chicks.
I had the same issue and just posted about it as well. I Hope it turned out better

Back
Top Bottom