Leghorn Layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RTsFFF, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Sophie4321

Sophie4321 Chirping

Jul 11, 2018
    Hi
    I am thinking of getting some leghorns
    How long do they normally take to start laying?
    Thanks

Compost King likes this.
  2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Compost King, sourland and RTsFFF like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hatchery/commercial lines tend to mature pretty quickly and its not uncommon for laying to start around 16 weeks....generally all the wls I've kept (production bred) have started around 17-19 weeks

Compost King and DobieLover like this.
  4. RTsFFF

RTsFFF In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2019
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Compost King and DobieLover like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Moonshiner said, but it's nice to add a couple colored varieties for 'pretty' and generally adequate production. JMO, but there is no more beautiful chicken than a Leghorn.

6. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Chirping

Apr 23, 2017
    I used to grow all types of brown egg laying chickens and over the years whether it's been luck or MyCare I have gotten the most gentle and quietest nicest leghorns and now I only have White leghorns

Compost King likes this.
  7. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    0.jpeg 0-10.jpeg
    I thought I would get some fancy colored Leghorns to compare to the production of the white leghorns I have. These are hatchery quality silver leghorns and only 10 or 11 weeks old. I also bought Red Leghorns but they do not look all that great, developed much slower and half of them died. Maybe in a month I will take pictures of them too. I want to make Columbian Leghorns by mixing the 2 and in 2 or 3 generations if the theory is correct I should start getting Columbian Leghorns.
    Now I get to learn the hard way that these Fancy leghorns are not such great producers. oh well, I just like the sleek beautiful form of a Leghorn.

Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  8. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Chirping

Apr 23, 2017
    Those guys are beautiful I love the Sleek uniform look of leghorns as well

Ol Grey Mare and Compost King like this.
  9. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Different corporations will call them by numbers to separate them from backyard white leghorns, for example the Hyline W-36. At some point I was trying to Breed a few of them to a backyard rooster and back to W-36 to produce more of them.

10. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Different corporations give them numbers to differentiate their birds from all others whether it be run of the mill leghorns or other companies high production leghorns.
    These companies have decades of specific breeding in their lines and they don't want any other birds to be confused with theirs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: