Leghorn Layers

RTsFFF

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2019
West Palm Beach, FL
I have been raising White Leghorns for a couple years now and they are by far my most frequent and prolific layers, dropping eggs almost every day and at least 25% larger than my next closest (Rhode Island Reds). So I'm about to add more Leghorns into the flock for that great production. My question is on colors. I am thinking of getting some Buff or Brown Leghorns, but not sure if they are as good of layers as the Whites just because of how good mine have been so far. Does anyone raise multiple colors and if so, do you see any difference in egg production?

I have been raising White Leghorns for a couple years now and they are by far my most frequent and prolific layers, dropping eggs almost every day and at least 25% larger than my next closest (Rhode Island Reds). So I'm about to add more Leghorns into the flock for that great production. My question is on colors. I am thinking of getting some Buff or Brown Leghorns, but not sure if they are as good of layers as the Whites just because of how good mine have been so far. Does anyone raise multiple colors and if so, do you see any difference in egg production?
I asked the feed store, chicken person that very question, she said they would not. I didn’t get them, this is hear say. Someone eles should chime in.

It depends on the line they're from.
Nothing can touch a true production type of white leghorn.
If you're just talking run of the mill hatchery type leghorns then the light browns come pretty close in amount and size.
Everything else including buffs can't compete. They all lay smaller eggs and won't lay 6 or 7 eggs a week.
Show line leghorns usually won't lay half what a good production white will.

I like the white leghorns too. They have been amazing little producers since they started laying in August. I do have a couple EE's that compete pretty well in production with them. Think I will keep some leghorns from now on. I don't know about any other color leghorns or how they produce, just the white ones we have. :D

If you're just talking run of the mill hatchery type leghorns then the light browns come pretty close in amount and size.
Everything else including buffs can't compete. They all lay smaller eggs and won't lay 6 or 7 eggs a week.

Thanks, this is what I was wondering about. Looks like I'll stick with my trusty whites moving forward :)

Thanks Mr. Moonie. Helped me decide on my next go round of chicks.
:highfive:...............:goodpost:

Even with the whites there can be quite a difference.
My grandma raised white leghorns most of my childhood which is probably why I like leghorns so much.
Once I had a flock of real production whites. They were labeled with a number instead of being called leghorns even.
Crazy layers of humongous eggs and I got almost 100% eggs daily but that was short lived. Not surprisingly they blew their who ha's out within the first year or so.
I've also had show stain whites and they laid decent size but not really leghorn size IMO but I was lucky to get any real amount of eggs compared. Seemed they would get on a run and lay well then production would drop dramatically for a while then pick back up.
Years ago I had some straight hatchery whites and they were large eggs and laid very well. With free ranging I decided to get some browns for better camouflage. They ended up laying dang near as well and surprisingly after a couple years I noticed I hardly lost a bird from either color to predators or reproduction issues.
I still have some of both and I really like the browns more. For sure its because of how long I was only around whites.
If maximum eggs is your goal go with whites but if you want a little more color and don't mind a few less eggs the browns are a good choice.

Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brown-leghorns-white-leghorns.114559/page-2
I have 2 white LHs and a Ca white. My little LHs are superstar egg layers.
I too am looking to add more LHs to my flock and am planning to get brown LHs.

Back
Top Bottom