Leghorn mix laying blue eggs?

Cheryl1948

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Randleman, NC
My Buff hatched two white eggs that were given to me last August. The man who gave me the eggs was not sure what breed the eggs came from. The rooster was definitely a Leghorn. Posting pics of the two on BC we determined they were Leghorn mix. Since they came from white eggs I assumed they would lay white eggs, but, this morning I found one of them in the nesting box and she had laid a little "blue" egg. I didn't see her lay it, but it was warm and still a little wet. So, is it possible for her to lay blue eggs if she came from a white egg? She looks so much like a Leghorn, but whatever she is mixed with maybe laid blue eggs.

Ya, the blue egg shell gene is dominant so if her father passed one on to her she would lay blue/green. Leghorn crosses are actually pretty popular as blue egg laying EEs since you don't have any added brown egg color genes which make the eggs look greener and they are such good layers.

Ya, the blue egg shell gene is dominant so if her father passed one on to her she would lay blue/green. Leghorn crosses are actually pretty popular as blue egg laying EEs since you don't have any added brown egg color genes which make the eggs look greener and they are such good layers.

Thanks Kelsie. Had no idea. I thought for sure I was going to get white eggs! Will see what the other girl lays when she starts, but I expect they will also be blue.

Back
Top Bottom