Leghorn Thread

Pics
Alaskan:  Thanks for the reply.  Although, 'brilliant chicken person' I am not!  I wouldn't have bought an Australorp who lays white eggs if I was! :lau   I am quite new to chickens, but have been doing some research since learning that I didn't buy the bird I thought I was buying.  I've found some web sites that say some Black Leghorn hens can have 'dark' legs, but I have no idea what that means?  Dark yellow or dark as in black/grey???  So I'm about as confused as a soup sandwich right now.  I don't know that I will ever know what she is.  I've looked at so many pictures and she's not an exact fit to most of them.  Her wattles and ear lobes are MUCH smaller than all the pics I've seen of Minorcas, but maybe that's because she isn't fully mature???  I don't know.  If she's a good egg layer, I guess it doesn't matter that much.  I'm not going to breed her anyway.  I just like knowing what birds I have so I can read up on those particular breeds.  Right now I am a wealth of knowledge about Australorps... but I don't own one! :rolleyes:

Well, I think Minorca is most likely.

And yes on all of her head gear. It will grow larger as she ages.

When they say that black leghorns can have dark legs, the legs still have to be yellow, but they might have a dark wash over the yellow.

Last edited:
I have two Leghorns and they are egg production machines for sure. One of them allows me to pick her up. She's very sweet.

I have two Leghorns and they are egg production machines for sure. One of them allows me to pick her up. She's very sweet.

She's cute. That's about how most of my leghorn girls combs have looked. But, the girl that I have now..has that real floppy comb..love it!

Those are some great pictures!

@billkaroly very pretty pullet! :D

@darajosami tell us how well they lay once they start going. The bantams tempt me, I think you might actually get more egg for your feed than with the large fowl.

Those are some great pictures!

@billkaroly very pretty pullet!
big_smile.png

@darajosami tell us how well they lay once they start going. The bantams tempt me, I think you might actually get more egg for your feed than with the large fowl.

Sure will. Had our first egg today but it didn't survive
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom