Leghorn Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KBHatchery, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Bantam white single comb? It sure looks promising!

I tried and tried to get bantam rose comb light brown....but couldn't.

I did manage to get standard sized RC white and RC dark brown. However, I am not very pleased with the combs. One is a single, and a few of the others look like they will not end up as symmetrical as I would like. -sigh-

2. chickenlady099

chickenlady099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    antelope, california
    Yes. SC my daughter got the pair at an auction at a youth show. At the next show we went to they won best of show for the youth and reserve of show for the open. Guess I can't be too mad for starting a third breed to raise.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, so I really never expected any of my leghorns to go broody. I have one that is broody right now. I thought she sounded like she was going broody..doing the cluck cluck sound. But I thought, no, you are a leghorn. lol..I hatched her, she is a Heritage Leghorn, not from a feed store. Very small girl. Glad I have some eggs in the bator that I can share with her. She seems pretty determined.
    I have a small flock, and always have one or two leghorns in my back yard..love them, always have been sweet. She is even being a sweetheart right now as she sits and I when I moved her to a better place. Anyone else have a leghorn go broody?

4. Shesinthebarn

Shesinthebarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Brant County, Ontario
    Ok, leghorn peeps! Can anyone tell me if my three week old mystery chick is a rose comb bantam brown leghorn? He somehow got mixed in at the breeders!. He was chipmunk striped so I didn't think much about it. Thought he was a runt welsummer! Well...three weeks later he is half the size of the others but super active. The only bantam project the breeder had was light leghorn bantam, rose comb. Thoughts?? I think he is looking more leghorn-like every day?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. nelmsy

nelmsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    England
    [​IMG]leghorn x malay

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

[​IMG]

Here is a rose comb dark brown leghorn pullet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Alaskan, that's a nice looking pullet. I had a brown leghorn, didn't look like that, but it didn't have the rose comb either. Mine must have been the light brown.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

Light browns are very common. I have never seen a dark Rosecomb in person. They are hard to find. Hatcheries sell light browns

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    CCCCCC, yes, I looked them up. Nice looking.

I love me some leghorn, white ones. Every new white girl I get, that replaces an older girl, is always named Miss Piggy. Because they are! This girl is getting a real floppy top. She just started laying a week ago. Today, first day she missed laying since she started..7 days in a row. I have another girl, she just finished up being a mom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Alaskan, nice RCBL. How old is she? Laying yet? Yours is much darker than mine which came from MMc. Mine are typical partridge coloring with gold/black lacing at the head and hackles, brown partridge overall, and a rose tinted breast. I think they're pretty stunning.

Here's the ? for all you leghorn peeps: How do you find that they do in a mixed flock? I have RIR, BSL, Dominique, EE, and the RCBL. My one RIR is the Alpha. The Doms, RCBL and 4 BSL (EE x PBR) are this year's chicks, with the Doms and the RCBL being at the bottom of the pecking order. Am keeping a full EE from this year's hatch for my roo, unless he turns into a total jerk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by