Leghorn Thread

Pics
No way to keep the single combs perfect in super cold temps.

I have had single combs, and now mostly rose combs.... I only get down to -20.

Since I do not show, I simply let combs freeze off, I am not about to risk a coop fire.

I do realize that combs freezing off is painful for the birds, which is why I have been moving away from single comb birds.

Why not dub them and get it over with? much less painful in the long run. Better cropped than allowed to freeze and rot off. JMHO

Leghorns are my absolute favorite breed. I feel that a lot of times they're underrated by many for several reasons: 1) They lay white eggs, vs the brown organic eggs in stores 2) They do not have many interesting patterns (of course, many don't realize that there are different color varieties) and 3) They are not exceptionally well known for being social (so false).

I am constantly bragging about my Leghorns to my friends. They are so friendly and very nice, following me everywhere and jumping on my lap. They are also the most intelligent chickens I've ever had, and also remain hardy and healthy throughout the harsh Minnesotan winters. On top of all this, each lay me an extra large white egg every day. I originally had six White Leghorns, but lost two due to a tapeworm and roundworm infestation that wiped out nearly half my flock. I luckily had a necrotopsy done and was able to deworm them in time. Now they have recovered and are laying again. I already ordered chicks for this year, but am planning on getting a couple of Light Brown Leghorns next year. Here's some picture of mine, with a few others from my flock.

Leghorns are my absolute favorite breed. I feel that a lot of times they're underrated by many for several reasons: 1) They lay white eggs, vs the brown organic eggs in stores 2) They do not have many interesting patterns (of course, many don't realize that there are different color varieties) and 3) They are not exceptionally well known for being social (so false).

I am constantly bragging about my Leghorns to my friends. They are so friendly and very nice, following me everywhere and jumping on my lap. They are also the most intelligent chickens I've ever had, and also remain hardy and healthy throughout the harsh Minnesotan winters. On top of all this, each lay me an extra large white egg every day. I originally had six White Leghorns, but lost two due to a tapeworm and roundworm infestation that wiped out nearly half my flock. I luckily had a necrotopsy done and was able to deworm them in time. Now they have recovered and are laying again. I already ordered chicks for this year, but am planning on getting a couple of Light Brown Leghorns next year. Here's some picture of mine, with a few others from my flock.

I have to agree with you. We added four WL to the flock this year and I am absolutely in love with them and just put 5 more on an order I'm getting ready to place for this spring's flock refreshers. You just can't beat them for productions or efficiency with regards to feed conversion - and they are SO inquisitive and outgoing around us. The four we have now are not lap chickens or all that anxious to be handled, but they want to be with us and are the first to seek us out, follow us around, etc. while we are outside doing chores - they were not hand raised and we only got them at 7 months, so I am looking forward to seeing what hand raised chicks we start this spring will be like. They have proven to be such little characters and a true joy to have. I recently found someone nearby working with the mille fleur pattern, haven't quite convinced myself to spend the $$$, but they sure are eye candy.

For pure utility birds, the Leghorn has no peers in my opinion. My primary interest is high quality chicken meat (capons) but if I needed/wanted large quantities of eggs, Leghorns are what I would have.

Leghorns are my absolute favorite breed. I feel that a lot of times they're underrated by many for several reasons: 1) They lay white eggs, vs the brown organic eggs in stores 2) They do not have many interesting patterns (of course, many don't realize that there are different color varieties) and 3) They are not exceptionally well known for being social (so false). I am constantly bragging about my Leghorns to my friends. They are so friendly and very nice, following me everywhere and jumping on my lap. They are also the most intelligent chickens I've ever had, and also remain hardy and healthy throughout the harsh Minnesotan winters. On top of all this, each lay me an extra large white egg every day. I originally had six White Leghorns, but lost two due to a tapeworm and roundworm infestation that wiped out nearly half my flock. I luckily had a necrotopsy done and was able to deworm them in time. Now they have recovered and are laying again. I already ordered chicks for this year, but am planning on getting a couple of Light Brown Leghorns next year. Here's some picture of mine, with a few others from my flock.
I definitely agree. Our white is the best egg layer and friendliest of all our girls. I love them and think I will always have a WL in my flock.

Last edited:
Hello! We started June 2015 with 6 leghorn. Then added 6 more in July of two other breeds. All lived and all where hens. Was hoping for at least one rooster. So I am wanting to add more before long. When ever I can add some pictures of them I will. Thank you! For your time and adding the post.

Back
Top Bottom