Leghorn vs. DPs questions

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
Barred Rock (dual purpose) keeper here. Checking my breed selection and thinking of adding a second breed. Having some questions regarding Leghorns:

1) by how much can you save on feed by raising and keeping leghorns for eggs instead of Dual Purpose?
2) are they less hardy / more miserable in the winter being smaller/skinnier birds and with large combs?
3) at what age Leghorn cockerels can be sexed out?
4) would you raise excess Leghorn cockerels for meat and to what age and dressed size?
5) would you process old age hens for meat and how would it compare (taste and dressed size wise) with a DP chicken?

1) by how much can you save on feed by raising and keeping leghorns for eggs instead of Dual Purpose?
I spend about $20 a month on 10 leghorns. Mine also free range.
2) are they less hardy / more miserable in the winter being smaller/skinnier birds and with large combs?
So far mine are doing fine in my Western NY snow and wind. On cold days they just hang in their coop and relax. We have had freezing temps, but I haven't had any frostbite issues.
3) at what age Leghorn cockerels can be sexed out?
I was able to tell who my two roos were pretty quickly. By 4 weeks their combs were much larger.
4) would you raise excess Leghorn cockerels for meat and to what age and dressed size?
Both my cockerels didn't have alot of meat on them, but they still made a decent meal. I would rather raise cornish X for meat then leghorns.
5) would you process old age hens for meat and how would it compare (taste and dressed size wise) with a DP chicken?
Yes, you won't get a ton of meat from them though. You just need to find a good way to cook older birds, but their meat can still be tasty.

does anyone have or had both leghorns and say barred rocks at the same time to compare feed consumption and winter hardiness side by side?

I have had both, but not in your level of cold. Yes my barred Rocks ate easily 2 or 3 times as much feed as the leghorns. And oddly enough weren't even as good at laying in the winter. After owning a white leghorn accidentally (was supposed to be a Buff Orpington) I wouldn't be without Leghorns in my flock. She alone layed eggs faithfully in winter while my fatter duel purpose hens found better things to do.

Even if a hen is old and skinny, they will still make an awesome broth base for chicken soup.

If I were in Canada or other super cold climate, I would take a look at the Rose Comb leghorns for the frostbite issue. But I would also consider that Canadian breed, Chantecler I think its called. I believe they were developed from Leghorn's (and a few other breeds) specifically for egg laying up there in your great white north.

Also dunno if you like ducks, but they are much better insulated than chickens and tolerate the cold much better. I believe Metzers ships birds up to Canada, if your interested take a look at his Golden 300 layers and White layer ducks.

Back
Top Bottom