Lemon a Very Special Little Hen (Silkie cross breed)

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm very proud of my little Silkie cross hen (Lemon) so I decided to tell you a little story of her. I'd like to introduce the Silkie crosses that have just stolen away my heart.

Also, check out this wonderful thread made by Nambroth! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=563302

Copyright
00a9.png
2011 Hannah Clark.

On the Red Rooster Farm, there is a pretty little yellow bantam named Lemon. This little yellow bantam is like no other chicken on the farm. She is a strikingly beautiful little hen with yellow feathers and a little yellow crest.

Who is this pretty little hen? Well, let me tell you about her.

Her father is a Sikie and her mother, a Quail Bantam. She was hand raised and loved. She was hated among the older girls-only to be the sunshine of our little farm.

Yes, Lemon is a very special hen. But why?

I’ll tell you the reason why. It’s because she has a very special mother.

You see, her mother is blind. When getting tree bark in her eye, she got a infection that left her blind for 4 years. Her mother (Chickadee) is an outstanding mother. At the age of 5 years old, she successfully raised two batches of chicks. In all she raised 13 chicks in one year.

Chickadee is the most popular hen here on our little acre.

Lemon was raised in the front yard of our home. I enjoyed spending long happy hours watching the chicks. It became my favorite thing to do. I would watch, observe, and take pictures.

You will learn more about Lemon as you follow this thread. Enjoy the colorful pictures!

Last edited:
Lemon is such a beautiful and adorable little hen! Love the pictures, they are gorgeous.
love.gif
That's so sweet that her mother was able to be a good mother despite her handicap!

I have a Silkie cross that I love too
smile.png

Her name is Kevin.(I know it's strange, but it just fit's her)
She even adopted some chicks from another hen; who had hatched 12 eggs but she couldn't set on all of them, so we gave some to Kevin. She gladly accepted them
smile.png

There's something about silkie crosses. My favorite chicken is Moe moe (my 2 year old named her), a silkie/ d uccle. Yours is a beauty.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom