Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
Quote:
I wish I could find some for you and I . I wonder how many generations it would take crossing bantam to LF to get LF ?

The only thing I was saying was with lemon-blue, they will not breed true. If you breed a lemon-blue with a lemon-blue, you will not get 100% lemons.

As of yet, they are experimental with cochins. As of yet, you still need to cross two (or more) color breeds to get lemon blue.

Don

Last edited:
Quote:
The Blue Red also uses the cross to the Andalusian blue gene variety, and if there is a blue variety in a breed they are easy crosses to do to make beautiful birds.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Isn't lemon-blue produced the same way in ALL breeds? It's not really an "experimental color." Evidently there is an actual formula to get lemon-blue, the skill is in getting good type, pattern, etc. You're always going to get stuck with cast offs or culls because you've got birds from each mating that don't manifest the gene.
In other words improper phenotype, and the ones that are the correct genotype, but lack the phenotype, you have no way of knowing until you breed them. ????
idunno.gif

Quote:
I guess I should be a little more careful in my word choices. Lemon blue is not a ASP recognized color breed and will NOT breed true in standard cochins. If you take a golden laced standard cochin and breed it to another golden laced standard cochin, you will get golden laced standard cochins 100% of the time. Same is true with black, buff, silver laced... etc. I wasn't speaking for ALL of the other chicken breeds as some breeds have color genetics that are available to them that the standard cochins do not. Yes you may be able to take a lemon blue and breed it to a brown-red and get 100% lemon blue but not so if you breed lemon blue to a lemon blue. That makes it a mixing of two different color genetics to make the color. It is a hybrid color like the blue standard cochins. Blue to blue will give you 50% blue, 25% splash and 25% black. However, the standard blue cochins are a recognized color by the ASP.

Either way, I love the way they look and love having them in my flock.
smile.png

Don

Last edited:
I have two large fowl brown red cochin hens. They will produce true lemon blue cochins when bred to a blue male. Sonoran Silkies is correct that the blue color breeds predictably but not true. Lemon blues bred together will produce brown reds, lemon blues and a "sport" lemon splashed that when bred to brown reds produce 100% lemon blue.
I had several brown red large fowl but a bobcat help eliminate the flock a few years ago. The two hens left are 9lbs with super good type. I am currently using them in a large brown cochin project that I hope to have completed within the next two to three years.
If you want to make large brown reds try breeding a very glossy black large cochin male to large white females. This mating will produce whites with willow legs, blacks with perfect yellow legs (which eventually molt to white in two to three years) and brown reds. The brown reds from this mating will not be perfect in color but the males will be closer than the females. Breed the best colored males to the females with the best coloring, within a couple of generations you'll have your brown red color set and then you can introduce the blue gene. Takes some time but the results are worth the wait.

Bo

Back
Top Bottom