Leopard gecko questions.

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
I have posted this on a gecko site and decided to post it here too for a better chance of getting a reply tonight.

I have never had geckoes and today I agreed to take in a (assumed) leopard gecko. A nine year old girl, that I've known since she was born, found a gecko at a yard sale for free. The owner didn't/couldn't care for it and the girl wanted it so she got it. She can't even take care of a dog properly, so I know she can't care for any type of reptile. She is a troubled girl with a big loss that is still fresh.

I have two bearded dragons, Mushu is two and a half years old and Yoshi is a year and a half. I have Supplies for them. Fluker's repta calcium with vitamin D3 and phosphorus free, Rep-cal Herptivite with beta carotene: multivitamins for all reptiles and Amphibians, a
30" x 12" x 18" 29 gallon tank with a tank topper, 65 watt heat bulbs, a clamp lamp and a few other used decorations. I use Zilla 24-Inch Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Bulb, 17-Watt for my dragons but I currently don't have any that aren't in use. I feed my bearded dragons crickets and always have them.

This is all I can use for the moment since I don't live anywhere near a pet store. It would be quicker to order stuff online than it would be getting to a pet store.

I have not personally seen the gecko and from the description it is a small leopard gecko. It is in a small plastic container about twice the size of a milk jug. They are calling it a him, I'll see about that when I check him out. He is not officially named, but she apparently called it a devil. He has no lights or heating pad. Nothing is in its cage. Absolutely nothing. I'm not sure about anything else.
I should be getting him tomorrow.

I have so many questions so I'm going to list them.

1. What can I do when I get him tomorrow with what I have on hand?

2. What should I order for him? Basic things that every leopard gecko needs.

3. Should I keep him in the small container he is in already until I get stuff for the 29 gallon tank? I also have a 10 gallon tank that had a tank topper that I can't find at the moment.

4. What's best for him when he gets to me?

5. How do a make the transition to a good environment easy for him?

6. Can I put the heat lamp on him until I get a heating pad?

7. Will the 29 gallon tank be suitable for him for the rest of his life?

8. Can he transmit anything to my beardies?

9. Is quarantine needed? If so, how long?

10. How should I clean the 29 gallon tank? It had one of my bearded dragons in it months ago and it just got rinsed out since I did not see myself using it anytime soon.

I need everything I can get from more knowledgeable people. Any and all information and tips are welcome. Please help me help this poor little guy.

I don’t own leopard geckos, but I keep frogs and I don’t know if anyone else on here who has any so I guess I’ll leave my input. Do you have anything in the tank right now or just the things listed? If not I would keep it in the small container for now until you have a substrate/hide etc. Do you have crickets available?

The tank you have sounds like a decent size. They can be kept in 10 gallons but I like a 20 gallon long for them. I think based on the size dimensions you're giving that's about the right size.

They are nocturnal, so they do not need day lighting. An under-tank heater is a better choice than a heat lamp. Put it on one side of the tank so there's a gradient and he can go there if he wants to warm up, or move away if he wants to cool down. You can use a light to give heat until you can get that.

They don't need UVB light as long as their diet is properly supplemented, again because they are nocturnal. If you are adding enough D3 to their diet, there's no real need to have a light. You can add one with no ill effects if you want to though, and it can be a good plan if you're worried they aren't getting enough D3. The light should be mounted up as high as possible while still within range, and on one end of the tank to create a gradient. A 5-6% T8 or T5 bulb is recommended.

It's recommended that you do a hide on the warm side of the tank, a hide on the cool end, and also a 'humid hide' that they can get into when they need to shed. A tupperware container with a hole cut in the side so the gecko can get in, lined with damp moss on the bottom, works well for this.

Leopard geckos are pretty small I don’t know what your bearded dragons would think also when you get leopard gecko can you post a pictures
My friend had a heating pad under her tank for hers and a medium sized aquarium
She provided a little pool and a skull he could hide in he loved it

Yes I do have crickets, my bearded dragons eat them. I have not set the tank up yet, I should be getting him later tomorrow. Would the calcium with vitamin D3 provide enough D3? A small container with calcium in it is how most people do it correct?

Would some type of tile be the best substrate? I've heard slate is great.

So I need a UTH preferably with a thermostat, a good substrate, three hides, one on each side of the tank and one made out of a tupperware container and a water dish. Will a decently decorated tank, plants and hides, make him feel more secure?

I will most likely keep him in a separate room from my beardies, at least until I make sure the gecko is healthy. I will post pictures once I get him.

Until I get an UTH can I safely use a heat lamp?

Yes, crickets and said vitamin powder will work. I would definitely say use the 29 gallon with paper towel substrate. (NO SAND!!!!!!) A tank topper is unnecessary because they cannot climb well, unlike other gecko species. Please post pictures, so we can help with his/her care advice. If you have any other questions, please email me ([email protected]) or DM me on Instagram (@hunterhouckofficial). It is my passion to help animals, and I have a leopard gecko (as well as many other pets. I hope this helps. I will link a great leopard gecko care guide video. https://www.goherping.com/leopardgeckos It also has a great video guide. I have my leo's warm side at 90 degrees. They need an under tank heater, not a heat lamp. (Of course a heat lamp is better than nothing until you can purchase a mat.) YouTube is a great resource. Thank you for helping animals, too!

Yes I do have crickets, my bearded dragons eat them. I have not set the tank up yet, I should be getting him later tomorrow. Would the calcium with vitamin D3 provide enough D3? A small container with calcium in it is how most people do it correct?

Would some type of tile be the best substrate? I've heard slate is great.

So I need a UTH preferably with a thermostat, a good substrate, three hides, one on each side of the tank and one made out of a tupperware container and a water dish. Will a decently decorated tank, plants and hides, make him feel more secure?

I will most likely keep him in a separate room from my beardies, at least until I make sure the gecko is healthy. I will post pictures once I get him.

Until I get an UTH can I safely use a heat lamp?

Your plans sound good :) Yes, a dish with calcium and D3 that he can take from when he needs it. Slate is great, easy to clean and holds heat well. I have a leopard gecko that I rescued that is missing her toes due to not being provided a humid hide, and I use paper towels for her, so that can work until you can get ahold of slate.

Decorations can give them more places to hide and can make the tank look nice, so I don't see why not. Unlike bearded dragons they aren't plant eaters, so you can use fake plants without worrying that he's going to try to eat them.

Thank you everyone for helping me figure out what to do for this little guy.

I think I have everything ready to order tomorrow! I will use paper towels for right now and do three hides made out of Tupperware, again, for right now. One on either side of the tank and a humid hide in the middle. I also have a bowl for water already.

A UTH, a thermostat, a Infrared temp gun, thermometer/hydrometer and some fake plants seems like a good start right?

I have yet to get a reply from the gecko fourm. I just find it funny that I got a number of replies from nice people from a chicken website before I got a reply from a website that is specifically for geckos.

I guess I'll leave him in his current small container until I get his supplies, probably on Monday. Should I try to feed him after I make the container liveable? Or let him settle first?

Here's a sneak peek of the little guy. Some of my family members are bringing him to me now and I finally got a picture.

He is a leopard gecko right?
received_2303184233252727.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom