Lesion? on beak

carlaquilter

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2021
Just noticed this on my easter egger. She seems no worse for wear. No discharge, no other symptoms. I'm not sure if it is called a lesion, was just trying to find something to call it. I haven't yet opened her mouth to see if there is anything in her mouth. I don't think it is fowl pox as it is on her beak and not soft tissue. I don't think it is canker as it is on the outside of her beak.
It seems more of a lesion/sore? than a crack or injury.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_6660.JPG
    IMG_6660.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 21
It's interesting that's for sure.
Almost looks like the beak was damaged at some point and debris has collected inside the damage.

Do look inside her beak and see what the other side looks like.
I'd be tempted to gently clean out that "hole"? "indention"? "pocket"?
Maybe just 1 drop Peroxide to help loosen the debris, then gently wipe away, qtip to help dig or probe a bit.

You be the judge. I'm a curious sort at times. Most things I leave alone, but it looks like something I'd investigate a little.

2 days later. Looking about the same. I've been swabbing with peroxide once a day. Checked inside her mouth...after the scare of all the black in there (from digging in the compost pile), I'm confident this morning that there is nothing going on inside. Must have been some injury? Would it be a pox on her beak? Still seems no worse for wear, other than being annoyed with us messing with her. Eating, drinking, pooping regularly, temperament same as usual (she's a busy, chatty one).

Attachments

• IMG_6683.JPG
    IMG_6683.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm okay with omitting the Peroxide. The peroxide doesn't seem to react at all when applied to beak and I checked it for viability (put it on dirty stuff and it reacted). Papilloma?...ah, wart...interesting.

Back
Top Bottom