Let chickens be moms.

It's only going to happen if you have a rooster and if any of your hens go reliably broody and stay that way long enough to hatch the eggs. Not all hens do and you can't make them. I have hens who toy with the idea and will sit on eggs, for 2 or 3 days, then they give up. I've only had a few who would sit reliably until the eggs hatched.

I'm not sure what you mean by "recommendations" but i have to say, its a lot easier to have a chicken hatch her own chicks than hatch them yourself!

Yes we do have roosters, hopefully nature will kick in on our birds
jumpy.gif

If the hen is into it it is best to let them do the work. I have a duck on 14 eggs currently. it is her 1st year and she seems like she is determined.

You can't just put eggs under her and expect her to take them. You must wait until she is broody. A broody hen will sit on the nest all day, getting up only once or twice to eat and drink. To make sure she is broody, wait a couple days, and see if she stays on the nest. Then u can give her the eggs.
P.s. how old r the hens? In my experience, they don't become broody until almost a year after they start laying eggs.

Also, if you have silkies, I would expect them to become broody first. They make excellent mamas.
Just saw that someone already mentioned broodiness. Oh well.

You can't just put eggs under her and expect her to take them. You must wait until she is broody. A broody hen will sit on the nest all day, getting up only once or twice to eat and drink. To make sure she is broody, wait a couple days, and see if she stays on the nest. Then u can give her the eggs.
P.s. how old r the hens? In my experience, they don't become broody until almost a year after they start laying eggs

I know that. They will be a year in June, but they are laying good, we will keep an eye on them to see if they get "broody"

Back
Top Bottom