1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Let me see your fire pits!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hoosierhen, Aug 22, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I am getting ready to dig a new fire pit a little further up on my property. (I'm getting to old to run to the facilities! LOL) If you have a cool fire pit, I'd sure like to see it, to give me some ideas. Thanks! Mary

2. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Sorry no one has a cool fire pit ):

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    We use a old metal barrel on a concrete slab that usd to be the foundation of a windmill. I will possibly get pics later.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My husband used an old tractor tire rim for our fire pit and the kids piled big rocks up around the outside of it. I will have to try and get pics of it later. I also noticed that TSC has all of their fire pit rings on clearance here right now. The biggest one they had was $69 the beginning of the summer and has been marked down to $15 now! If you have a TSC near you, you might want to check it out. [​IMG]

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:we used the same thing, and in most cases its bigger than the ones you buy. For that price you cant beat it unless you can get the rim for free like we did.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You might be able to get one for free at a junkyard... You'd just need some way to haul it.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry, don't have a fire pit. Just throw a pile of wood on the ground somewhere on the gravel away from buildings and grass and up in flames it goes.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've got 3 fire pits here. 2 are holes with cinder blocks surrounding them and are used to burn burnable trash. The other I just made from rocks to cook before we got the oven here. Makes for an awesome marshmellow fire. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If your talking about a pit for burning trash I haul our trash to the dump...I hate burning trash.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:ours is only about 4 foot diameter, fit in my dads truck easy.
    weve had a couple bonfires in it, i did burn garbage in it last year but it was a mess so we got a barrel for that.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by