Votes: 65 35.3%
  • 5-8

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • 9-12

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • I lost count

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
We have one rooster and one cockerel. We used to have two roosters and one cockerel, but we re-homed our subordinate barred rock, Romeo, because he was getting picked on by the girls. Our dominant rooster is a Black Australorp named Omen. Our new cockerel, almost 2 months old, is a Polish Crest, and is named Mick Jagger. He was supposed to be a pullet, but🤷 He is beautiful😍😍 I hope the girls don't pluck his butt bald, like they did Romeo😭 First picture is Omen with the chicks. Second picture is Mick Jagger, and the third is Romeo. I just wish I had a picture of him with tail feathers!😂

Attachments

• 20210516_184242.jpg
    20210516_184242.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210516_184253.jpg
    20210516_184253.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210124_102936_HDR.jpg
    20210124_102936_HDR.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 2
Two roos. Silverwings, a barnyard mix, who is a perfect gentleman to hens and people alike because for his first year he was beaten into submission by his jerk father, Mike Rohr (My Crower, get it?) who later ended up becoming a jerk to me and met a sudden end. Had another good cockerel who sacrificed hemself to a hawk to protect thd hens, to my dismay. Replaced him with Chicken George, a BJG, another fine gentleman who has yet to prove himself as a defender of the flock, but I quite like him, and so apparently do about 8 of the ladies. Silver is now "mentoring" George as his father did to him, so George has lovely manners.

Their beauty is tempting -- and it's a legitimate reason to keep a rooster -- but if your goals and your situation don't mesh with a rooster then you shouldn't give in. Especially if it would break your heart to eat him or rehome him to someone who will eat him should he turn out aggressive or badly-behaved toward his hens.
I could never kill or eat one of my roosters and i have several. They are not mean (cuz thry were raised with live and cuddling) but they crow ALOT snd nrighbors hate us. Makes me sad that people find it easy yo take a life.

we currently have 17 roo's i have 7bantam roo's and 1massive roo that i don't know what he is in my main coop they have all grown up together and get along great and I have a batchler coop that has 9residents so far it is for rescued roo's for those that live within 3hrs drive of me for people that can't or won't keep roo's i will drive and pick them up and give them a great home and spoil them until they leave this world naturally I will have to take pics of the rest tomorrow some i just got so they are still in lock down so they know this is home and they are not totally freaked out by my dogs and cats (they won't hurt them but I don't want the roos to hurt my dogs and cats)
God Bless You for giving these boy chickens a safe and kind home for all their life! That is what i want to do but im only on an acre and am 70. Have 9 boys and 8 girls and keep them semi separate. Very labor intensive but believe everyones happy. How big is your place? What kind of dogs/how to train to like chivkens?💗

Meet Annibel. Yes, I know that’s a girl’s name but I didn’t realize I had a rooster until he was 4+months old. So I decided to keep his name...boy named Sue. Anyway, he is a beauty and I love to hear him crow!
Yes i have a rooster named Emma for the same reason.So hes officially Sir Emma now! Boy does he dote on his ladies!

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_174743.jpg
    IMG_20201006_174743.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 4
I could never kill or eat one of my roosters and i have several. They are not mean (cuz thry were raised with live and cuddling) but they crow ALOT snd nrighbors hate us. Makes me sad that people find it easy yo take a life.
If taking a life is needed I will not hesitate. Dog, chicken, rooster, cat. I don't care. Aggressive animals are not allowed on my property.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to think of a rooster going into a stew pot yet most of us think nothing of eating bacon, hamburger, chicken fried steak, barbecued beef, hot dogs, etc. If a rooster's life is sacred, then all life should be. If you can't do the deed yourself, hire it done. I do, but only because I know I can't do it properly and won't torture the poor beast.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to think of a rooster going into a stew pot yet most of us think nothing of eating bacon, hamburger, chicken fried steak, barbecued beef, hot dogs, etc. If a rooster's life is sacred, then all life should be. If you can't do the deed yourself, hire it done. I do, but only because I know I can't do it properly and won't torture the poor beast.
I have raised other animals for slaughter, and had no issues with it. For some reason though, I cannot bring myself to slaughter, or send to slaughter any chicken we have🤷

Back
Top Bottom