Lethargic 4 month old Barrock hen. Coccidosis?

PolloGuapo

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Barrock hen. Approximately 4 months. She has always been the smallest of my 5 hens but she doesn't seem to have lost any weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She is very lethargic. Does not go out with the rest of the flock. Has her head pulled in close to her body. Often closes her eyes or just looks "sleepy".

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Three days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

I have 4 other seemingly healthy hens.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No.[/FONT]

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nothing I can think of. I am concerned that they may have been eating little bits of trash (styrofoam, e.t.c.)
but I conducted my best crop examination and did not feel anything that I would call abnormal.
[/FONT]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

I have her on grower feed and they all free range. I also put a little ACV in their water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Have a look!

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

She is quarantined.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I plan on treating her myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Here she is with the other hens. She is doing something she just started doing recently with the onset of the illness (tucking here head back into her feathers).

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

She was in a 4x4 coop with deep litter pine shavings and lots of ventillation with attached run.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom