Lethargic and skinny 1 year old hen!

Jholley93

Hatching
Aug 30, 2021
I have a 1 year old Brahma hen who is very skinny, not eating a lot, and generally lethargic and constantly tired. She doesn't move around much and chooses to lay down in random spots. It doesn't seem like she's eating a lot since I don't see her crop very full when I'm down there. She's in isolation currently due to her poops being green with whitish jello-like discharge. I do have another hen with Marek like symptoms and I'm wondering if she has it as well. She is inside on a mix of mush (wet layer feed, rolled oats, a bit of ACV, and some supplement powders mixed in.) A bit was eaten and she wiped her beak afterwards.

All hens were sprayed with PSP for depluming mites yesterday but she keeps puffing up a bit like she's itchy. Preening gland is a bit dirty with what I think are the mites. She had corn and ate those fine but she did let out a weird grunt, wheeze when going for the first one.

I'm worried she won't survive due to how skinny she is. She's moving more than yesterday and is even more talkative today but still weak. Is it better to put her out of her misery?

Attachments

• 20210830_194106.jpg
    20210830_194106.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210829_094204.jpg
    20210829_094204.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 5
Short of disease, it's hard to know what's going on with her, but worms will sap the strength of the strongest bird pretty quickly.
A worm treatment with Safeguard will not hurt her...

Maybe send a fecal sample to the vet to get an idea of what you're dealing with? Or worm the flock. The foamy poo is usually a sign of worms. Green is either what they are eating or an issue with the liver.

She's in isolation currently due to her poops being green with whitish jello-like discharge. I do have another hen with Marek like symptoms and I'm wondering if she has it as well. She is inside on a mix of mush (wet layer feed, rolled oats, a bit of ACV, and some supplement powders mixed in.)
Welcome To BYC

When is the last time she laid an egg?

The poop is interesting. Do all her poops have the jello-like discharge?

Her stance says she's not feeling well, but it also reminds me of hens that have some type of reproductive disorder at play.
Salpingitis comes to mind. Green poop is often due to not eating - she's skinny.

See that her crop is emptying overnight. If it's not, then let us know.
De-worming is not a bad idea. You could also treat for Coccidiosis and give an oral antibiotic to see if any of this helps.
Sort of throwing everything at her.

Bottom line is, sometimes treating can make a hen feel better/more comfortable for a period of time - how long depends on what's at the root of her symptoms. I do treat mine hoping they perk up for a while longer. Once they begin a slow decline, then evaluating condition daily is needed.

What symptoms does your other chicken have that you suspect Mareks? Mareks causes a decreased immunity to common diseases. I would agree with others to treat for possible coccidiosis and worms with Corid and a wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Those have to be shaken well and given orally. Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If your vet can do a fecal float on some droppings, you can rule out worm eggs and coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom