Please Help, I don’t know what to try next!

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
My olive egger, Gertie, is about 18mos the old. About a month ago we started having issues with her - lethargic, losing weight, not eating much if at all and excessive thirst when she would drink. She started molting but seemed a bit extreme compared to the others. She was also having diarrhea only pooping urates it seemed. Her comb even started to shrivel up some, I believe from dehydration.

Per recommendation, we started her on Corid around that time thinking maybe coccidiosis. I was also syringing her electrolyte water and egg yolk since she wasn’t interested in anything except black soldier fly larva. She started to improve and we put her back with the other 2 girls we have (she’s not being bullied).

She started acting more like herself, eating and drinking, though still not eating a ton… she’s still very skinny. And not interested in her previous favorites. When she’d get her supervised free ranging time, she’s scratch and peck and eat then. Now though she was seemingly a bit improved, we noticed her comb started to start turning purple but would go back to normal when she was in warmth for any period of time. But even the other day around 65 degrees outside, she was still purple a bit being outside. So, thinking maybe this is a mite or work issue (though I don’t see them and have checked, but have suspected depluming mites in another hen), we gave her the first dose of ivermectin 5 days ago.

Fast forward to yesterday, she’s seeming very weak and lethargic. We removed her from the others and I checked her crop this morning, that while small because she’s not eating very much, felt hard and was still there. I syringe a little olive oil and massaged. Put her back in the cage with only grit and electrolyte water. She ate some grit and I checked on her an hour later and her crop now feels more squishy.

No respiratory issues, her eyes, nose and ears are clear. Poop is still loose but looks better than it did a few weeks ago when it was all urates. She only pooped once last night. She did poop a very black tar type poop about a half hour ago - not sure if that’s from the oil, or cecal or what. Everything else looks fine other than just being very skinny.

I’m not sure if we are dealing with impacted crop, or sour crop or something else! I have ACS - does that work for both issues? Would it hurt to give it? What would you do? We love and adore this girl, she is more pet to us than anything else and has always been my top hen. Now she just seems very sick. Any advice of what you would do?

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    489 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 12
Awe, so sorry about your Gertie.

I am stumped but what I would try is some probiotics. Those would help if she's got any crop or gut issues going on. We ferment grains for ours which covers the probiotic/prebiotics well, but otherwise sugar-free Greek yogurt is high too, or any yogurt would help. I also have put Hydro Hen powder in their water every few weeks or so just to be sure they're getting some.

Here's an article about the two crop issues you mentioned. You could see if anything fits here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Awe, so sorry about your Gertie.

I am stumped but what I would try is some probiotics. Those would help if she's got any crop or gut issues going on. We ferment grains for ours which covers the probiotic/prebiotics well, but otherwise sugar-free Greek yogurt is high too, or any yogurt would help. I also have put Hydro Hen powder in their water every few weeks or so just to be sure they're getting some.

Here's an article about the two crop issues you mentioned. You could see if anything fits here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you so much. I'm adding probiotics to her water - I have some mixed with vitamins that I will try and see how that goes.

She does look ill, doesn’t she? Is her lower belly below her vent enlarged or full of fluid? Has she been gasping or having any labored breathing? Instead of oil, I would use slightly refrigerated coconut oil cut into small pieces and let her peck 1 tsp twice a day. Check her crop in early morning to see if it has emptied. Poop pictures tomorrow may help. If you have not wormed her it wouldn’t hurt, since we don’t know what is wrong. A dark comb could be from a heart problem, or not getting enough oxygen. Has she always laid eggs with strong shells?

She does look ill, doesn’t she? Is her lower belly below her vent enlarged or full of fluid? Has she been gasping or having any labored breathing? Instead of oil, I would use slightly refrigerated coconut oil cut into small pieces and let her peck 1 tsp twice a day. Check her crop in early morning to see if it has emptied. Poop pictures tomorrow may help. If you have not wormed her it wouldn’t hurt, since we don’t know what is wrong. A dark comb could be from a heart problem, or not getting enough oxygen. Has she always laid eggs with strong shells?
I’ll check her belly tomorrow, but I don’t think there was anything concerning there. I tried freezing and giving pieces of coconut oil… she took one bite and refused the rest! I’ll check it in the morning and get updated poop pics. I gave her ivermectin to deworm 5 days ago, the second dose is in another 5 days. No breathing or respiratory issues, and her eggs are the biggest and strongest out of our 3 girls. She’s usually the top hen, but she hasn’t laid since begin to molt.

I checked her first thing this morning and she definitely has an impacted crop. Very large and hard. I also don't see any poop from last night so I'll see if she poops at all today. I just gave her a little more olive oil since I can't get her to eat the coconut oil and it melts before I can put it in her beak. I'll start massaging it today. Should I give her grit?

Back
Top Bottom