Please Help, I don’t know what to try next!

Update: it’s definitely sour crop. Took her to the vet and she was put on an antibiotic too… and I’m trying to treat. She’s worse today, deteriorating quickly.

Antibiotics can make sour crop worse if it is a yeast or fungal infection. Are you also giving an antifungal medicine such as Nystatin? Sour crop causes a puffy crop when checked first thing in the morning. It also has a sour/bad odor. Does the crop ever feel like something is solid inside? It is good that you could see the vet. Make sure that she is drinking enough fluids and let us know how she gets along.

Antibiotics can make sour crop worse if it is a yeast or fungal infection. Are you also giving an antifungal medicine such as Nystatin? Sour crop causes a puffy crop when checked first thing in the morning. It also has a sour/bad odor. Does the crop ever feel like something is solid inside? It is good that you could see the vet. Make sure that she is drinking enough fluids and let us know how she gets along.
The antibiotics are a concern to me… I’m not sure exactly how they will help. I’m giving her probiotics and I get the Monistat today. I started putting acidified copper sulfate in her water yesterday (this is what helped another one of my hens with this). It doesn’t real feel solid in there anymore. It did a few days ago first thing in the morning but within about an hour it would get all squishy, and yes it does smell sour. She doesn’t seem interested in any food so I’ve been syringing a little egg yolk mixed with water. She also doesn’t seem to be drinking much… if anything, so I’ve been syringing water too. I just don’t know how much to give her.

Back
Top Bottom