Lethargic Birds with Yellow Nasal Discharge

TwoChicksChix

Songster
May 29, 2019
West Palm Beach Florida
Hey everyone,

I have a couple birds inside and outside that have yellow nasal discharge that crusts up and are acting pretty lethargic. Some of them have warts, so I was thinking it could be fowl pox.

One of the birds is very lethargic and much thinner than the others, but she’s my moms favorite. Those infected range from 4 weeks to 12 weeks.

If it is fowl pox then it won’t infect my older birds because they already had it before I got them.

So the main symptoms are:
Lethargic
Wart-like growths
Shaking of the head
Gasping
Puffed up feathers in some

I’m waiting to see the poop from this one so I can describe it.

Is there a bad odor from the head? Can you post any pictures of the faces or scabs? It sounds like you might have pox, although peck wounds can sometimes look similar. Yellow nasal drainage and gasping sound like a respiratory disease. Do you see any bubbles or swelling in eyes?

The nasal discharge doesn’t really smell bad. Some of them appear to have swollen eyes but there aren’t any bubbles coming from them that I can see.
F3E2755D-97F4-49EE-9590-4B8D5BAB9B93.jpeg
C7A4C3DB-E847-4B04-A143-C9E0D5987783.jpeg
8B2B93E1-FCDC-4A9E-BF71-FC378D8E5267.jpeg

Here’s some pictures of two of them

The chick in the 2 bottom pics do look to have fowl pox. I would try to find Tylan50 or 200 injectable locally which you can give orally to each chicken 3 times a day for 5 days, to treat a respiratory infection. That is a cattle antibiotic located in feed stores. Fowl pox is a virus which will not respond to antibiotics, but most chickens may recover from in 3 weeks. But it can be much harder on chicks, so make sure they can see well enough to get to their food and water.

Back
Top Bottom