Lethargic Chicken, ideas??

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Okay, I have searched on here and found a lot of similar issues, but not quite the same as mine. Just need help with narrowing down the issue.

The chicken in question is 4 months old and has only been mine for about a week. The person I got her from I have gotten several other chickens from and trust her biosecurity and all her chickens have been healthy, so I am not worried about anything super dire but I am confused about how/what to do for treatment.

Her symptoms are primarily a slightly runny nose (clear and thin), occasionally shaking her head and clearing out the nostrils (sort of like a sneeze, but not really), her comb is a bit pale at times, but not always, and she's super lethargic (she will sit alone in a corner with her eyes closed or stand without moving with her eyes closed). Her mate that I got with her is also runny nosed and a bit sneezy, but not at all lethargic and is acting like a normal chicken. They both have an appetite, jump up and eat treats, and drink water and her crop is emptying like normal. Poo looks totally normal, not runny, no blood and no signs of any worms. I thought it might have been from inhaling a lot of smoky air (AQI the day I got them was over 250) and stress from the move and changes, but she seems to be getting more lethargic and not less.

I don't know what else to do to treat her, I have been putting Nutridrench in her water, using VetRx, and have her isolated for now. Do I give her antibiotics for bacterial infections, like Tylan? Can mites or lice cause this type of response? Should I treat for that? I have looked at her feathers and don't see anything...sighhh. I don't really want to spend $90 at the Vet to have her tell me to give the bird Tylan :p But I also don't want her to get so far gone that she isn't able to recover if it's something that Tylan won't fix. Just looking for ideas or experience.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom