Lethargic hen - 1 year 3 months old

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Hello byc’ers I’m hoping you can all help -

my buff who is smaller than her hatch mates has been showing some worrying signs and has me freaking out right now.

I noticed yesterday she was in the nesting box for longer than her normal time. She had poop in it which is unusual, and on her (it’s liquid).

This morning when I went to let the girls out she was still on the roosting bars, so I gently picked her up and placed her down.
She went to the food but had s few nibbles and a few sips of water and then went to the corner of the run and laid down

Her crop is empty and I don’t seem to believe she’s not egg bound since I don’t feel any thing on the outside. Everything feels kosher.

what can I do? I’m so worried

Hello byc’ers I’m hoping you can all help -

my buff who is smaller than her hatch mates has been showing some worrying signs and has me freaking out right now.

I noticed yesterday she was in the nesting box for longer than her normal time. She had poop in it which is unusual, and on her (it’s liquid).

This morning when I went to let the girls out she was still on the roosting bars, so I gently picked her up and placed her down.
She went to the food but had s few nibbles and a few sips of water and then went to the corner of the run and laid down

Her crop is empty and I don’t seem to believe she’s not egg bound since I don’t feel any thing on the outside. Everything feels kosher.

what can I do? I’m so worried
Unless she is puffed up and making broody clucking noises, I don't think she is broody.

I don't have good news based on my own experience. I recently had a hen behave the same way. Wasn't eating or drinking much, flat crop, not egg bound, wouldn't get off the roost bars by herself. Her health only continued to deteriorate before we decided to euthanize her when she could no longer walk due to weakness.

I would at least recommend syringing some water into her mouth since she is probably dehydrated. Call a vet, prep for a possible necropsy through the state, and help her as much as you can in the mean time.

I do hope someone else can comment with better advice and experience.

Unless she is puffed up and making broody clucking noises, I don't think she is broody.

I don't have good news based on my own experience. I recently had a hen behave the same way. Wasn't eating or drinking much, flat crop, not egg bound, wouldn't get off the roost bars by herself. Her health only continued to deteriorate before we decided to euthanize her when she could no longer walk due to weakness.

I would at least recommend syringing some water into her mouth since she is probably dehydrated. Call a vet, prep for a possible necropsy through the state, and help her as much as you can in the mean time.

I do hope someone else can comment with better advice and experience.
Thank you,

and honestly,
I’ve been prepping myself for the ultimate death. It’s making me quite upset. I will be arranging a necropsy for sure since I have no idea what I’m working with and the better knowledge of what it is will help in the longer run.
She isn’t even pooping a lot and her droppings are not solid as they should be.
I am assuming it has a lot to do with the lot eating

she ate some hard boiled egg today. Not very much. She got a spa day today to get the dried droppings out of her feathers today. She sat in my lap and sweetly clucked and picked at my hair.

we’ll see what will happen. Nature is hard.

I love my buff orphingtons. They are the sweetest in my flock.

Thank you,

and honestly,
I’ve been prepping myself for the ultimate death. It’s making me quite upset. I will be arranging a necropsy for sure since I have no idea what I’m working with and the better knowledge of what it is will help in the longer run.
She isn’t even pooping a lot and her droppings are not solid as they should be.
I am assuming it has a lot to do with the lot eating

she ate some hard boiled egg today. Not very much. She got a spa day today to get the dried droppings out of her feathers today. She sat in my lap and sweetly clucked and picked at my hair.

we’ll see what will happen. Nature is hard.

I love my buff orphingtons. They are the sweetest in my flock.
I am so sorry. I was tore up for days over the loss of my sweet hen. They sure do leave holes in our hearts. I will hope for a miracle. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom