Lethargic Hen, Low Appetite

A tiny amount of food in the crop in the morning doesn't warrant starting crop disorder treatment. What would be helpful is a probiotic for several days. Get it where they sell vitamins for people. One tab into the beak daily.
Thank you. I'll add probiotic to the mix, will let the poor thing eat, and may still initiate antibiotics tomorrow.

Do I continue probiotics during the course of antibiotics?

Yes, giving probiotics during antibiotic treatment can restore good microbes that the antibiotic kills, helping to prevent yeast from taking advantage.

Update poop pic from this evening:

IMG_3175.jpeg

She is still drinking a lot and interested in eggs and tuna, but not chicken food. Clearly she isn't eating enough... We will start antibiotics tomorrow.

Still looking for advice on whether oxytetracycline hydrochloride (3 years old soluble powder "Oxysol 62.5") or more recent doxycycline (human dose capsules) would be better to try.

The oxytetracycline I have is 62.5 mg/g and vet dose for water is 4 g in 5 L. This is different from this site (http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/oxytetracycline) which I think indicates 2500 mg/L (or 12.5 mg/5L)?

Also, the poultry DVM site indicates oxytetracycline is a nephrotoxin after expiry and the bag I have indicates expiry in July 2021?!

Finally, wondering if worms could be an issue, though I haven't seen any in her poop. Others in my flock have issues with roundworm.

Thank you!

Last edited:
How old is the SMZ TMP? I always have problems with doxycycline dosages for chickens, as they are all over the place if you look them up. We are not vets here, just chicken owners. Poultry DVM is not the best sight to follow, since it is a vague site run by some unknown person that sounds very official. Some of their info is wrong, although some is good. I prefer to look up articles and studies of drugs, and get dosages from veterinary drug books such as Plumbs or from an actual vet site.

I tried looking for info about using expired oxytetracycline, but most articles are 25 years old and refer to liquid oxytetracycline. There are some online stores such as Jedds.com, Allivet.com, and others where you can get fresh antibiotics for pigeons or fish. Aqua Mox for fish is a good amoxicillin to use. Baytril or enrofloxacin is one of the best antibiotics. Any antibiotic will have an egg withdrawal time afterwards.

How old is the SMZ TMP?
the sulfameth was prescribed in July 2020 but I only have 2.5 tablets of 100/20 mg and vet directions for the chicken it was prescribed for were .5 tab twice daily - so I don't think I have enough.

Sounds like the doxy is too uncertain and we're rural and can't get to a pet store today. She's not eaten much in almost 2 weeks so I want to start meds today.

What do I watch for as indications of kidney damage?

And just wondering again about worms creating these issues?

Finally - I have something on hand called "Germ-Zone" that contains potassium permanganate, potassium alum, sodium chloride, potassium chlorate, and aluminum sulphate - is that worth any use?

Thank you!!

I looked up Germ Zone and it looks like a disinfectant for the water or skin. I don’t know if that would help or not.

I looked up some old posts for doxycycline dosage, and found the dosage is about 10 to 12 mg per pound of weight given daily for 3 to 5 days.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I really don’t know what I’d do without this forum.

We will go to town today and try to get some amoxicillin or baytril as that seems to be our best bet. Failing that I’m still torn between the expired oxytetracycline and the doxycycline but will make a decision later today.

No luck with any antibiotics from pet stores or Farmer's Supply here (oh, Canada).

I'm going to have to go ahead with the oxytetracycline. I'm concerned about not getting adequate dose into her in water, although she is drinking a lot due to watery poops.

What would the dose be if I were to administer a solution orally (med is 62.5 mg/g powder)?

End of day 3 of the oxytetracycline and keeping the hen mostly indoors. Appetite and energy levels seem pretty good, comb and wattles still nice and red, but she's still drinking a lot and having VERY watery poops.

I will finish the course of the antibiotics (7 days) but I am really wondering about roundworms creating her symptoms. It's wet here and others in my flock struggle with roundworms.

Can I deworm with Safeguard while she's on antibiotics (and been sick for a couple of weeks now)?

Back
Top Bottom