Lethargic Hen, possible Mareks? Help!

Kgaeta

Hatching
Feb 27, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm newer to chickens (started my flock last May with a good sized group of chicks). The chicks came from Blaine's and a few from TSC. The flock is made up of multiple different breeds.

At about 2 months old, one of my Dominiques became really ill. I quarantined her and found that she had cocci and sour crop at the same time. It took about 3 weeks but she recovered.

In November, at about 7 months old, another one of my Dominiques became sick. She was absolutely fine when I let her out in the morning and then in the afternoon, I noticed she was acting funny. She was standing in a pan of water, hunched over, lethargic and sleeping, she had clear/white watery stool. I brought her in and tried everything I googled and couldn't save her. I think she may have had sour crop.

Last night, at about 9 months old, another one of my Dominiques fell ill. She seems paralyzed in the legs and wings, lays hunched over and poofed up, crop was full last night and feels empty today. She won't eat or drink. I'm certain she is going to die.

I'm concerned, is this Mareks? Is this coincidence? Am I failing at chicken keeping?

Last night, at about 9 months old, another one of my Dominiques fell ill. She seems paralyzed in the legs and wings, lays hunched over and poofed up, crop was full last night and feels empty today. She won't eat or drink. I'm certain she is going to die.

I'm concerned, is this Mareks? Is this coincidence? Am I failing at chicken keeping?
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Have you felt inside her vent for an egg? Do you notice any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
If you can provide photos of her poop, of her, housing, etc. those may help.
What do you feed, including treats?
Do you notice a bad odor on her breath?
Are you located in the US or another country?

Back
Top Bottom