Lethargic hen

Tricepextension

Hatching
Jan 31, 2015
i have a three month old polish chick who is acting really sick. She is outside with six other chicks around her same age. She has seemed fine until this morning. She is extremely lethargic and puffed up. She will barely walk. She is falling asleep like day old chicks do...just while she is standing there. A month or so ago she had what I think was cocci. I treated with corrid and she got better within a week and has seemed fine since. I don't see any evidence of bloody poop.

I have moved her inside by herself. And she's just huddled down not really moving much. Eyes and beak look clear. No breathing problems.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to treat?

I would consider re-treating her for Coccidiosis. Some chickens seem to be particularly susceptible to it, even when they should have built up an immunity to it. At her age, Coccidiosis would be my first guess. There are different strains of Coccidiosis, so a bird can build up resistance to one, but if it comes into contact with another, it can fall sick once more.

Be sure that she's in a relatively warm place, as sick birds have trouble regulating their body temperature. Is she eating or drinking?

I would consider re-treating her for Coccidiosis. Some chickens seem to be particularly susceptible to it, even when they should have built up an immunity to it. At her age, Coccidiosis would be my first guess. There are different strains of Coccidiosis, so a bird can build up resistance to one, but if it comes into contact with another, it can fall sick once more.

Be sure that she's in a relatively warm place, as sick birds have trouble regulating their body temperature. Is she eating or drinking?
x2

I have had to retreat with Corid for bloody poo reappearing, and also I have had to treat with Corid for up to 4 month olds.

There doesn't have to be bloody poo for it to be coccidiosis, for sure. I always treat everyone exposed to the poo of the sick one.

Thanks for the replies!! I brought her in and she's in the big brooder (alone) in my basement. I just added corid to her water. I don't think she is eating and drinking but seemed interested outside (the other chicks wouldn't let her in though which is why I brought her in).

She was in with 6 others. They are in a coop together and then can go outside in the run but confined within a big crate. (We are in the middle of integrating them with older hens). So should I treat her 6 in her coop as well? But not the other layers as they would only have contact through wire?

Thanks so much!!

She now cannot hold her head up at all. She wants to eat and will scoot herself over and flop her face in the food. We managed to gently get water and electrolytes in her via syringe. And she perked up a little. But still not lifting her head. Is there a chance its wry neck?

Back
Top Bottom