Lethargic Roo...help

Cherokeerainbow

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Turner, Maine
I've checked Tony's body over for anything out of the ordinary...nada
He is approx 7 months old (normally pretty clumsy because of his big feet)

I noticed his mood this morning when he wouldn't eat a piece of bread. I tried a grape and he ate half...dropped the other piece and didn't care! He's NUTS about grapes! I've been at work all day, and the Vet is closed.
Heres what I know and what I've done so far.
First, I let him free range yesterday while cleaning out his coop. He stayed right around the barn and there is nothing toxic there.
Second, his poop is somewhat clear and watery. He's very lethargic (not much energy) sleeps alot and seems disorientated/wobbly.
Third, I gave him some Vita-pak (electrolites and vitamins for poultry) Via his waterer and via dropper. Also some tetracycline. And a dropper (3 ml) mixed with the vitamin water, beaten egg (for protein), oatmeal and banana.
fl.gif

(Yes, I sat him in my lap and fed him)
I waited a few hours and gave him some more vita water...he got up on his perch all by himself and promptly snuggled down and fell asleep.
fl.gif

Any ideas? Suggestions?
OMG...I'm so worried, he's the best buddy ever too....
hit.gif

He did swallow a whole grape yesterday afternoon. It was an awefully big green seedless (size of my thumb)...I was trying to split in half with my finger and..pop popped out onto the ground and prompty inhaled before I could blink...
Perhaps its stuck in his crop?
hit.gif

OK..............
UM?? Folks in chat said Roo's sulk?
All but one of his hens went bye bye on Saturday.
OMG...is he just NOT eating because he's missing his hens??
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
is this even possible?? He's only been with them for 2 months or so. He's only been an active Roo for that time...
Now I'm really confused!!
ANYONE??

I'd say it's definitely possible that he "misses them", and that he's off track because they're gone. Makes total sense to me.
I have 6 hens and a rooster, and last fall I had to remove one (1!!!) of them to treat her for an infected tick bite.
The rest of the flock was totally distraught, they just sat around, looking lost and confused, and didn't want any of their usual treats. It did not get any better the next day, either, until I finally returned their "sister" to them, and then all was back in order.
They do notice when someone is missing, and they do grieve, I have no doubt about it.

I only have one hen left...who was just removed tonight as I thought she might bug him...ugh
I bought 4 pullets about 16 weeks or so...not old enough to lay yet and in quarentine area...they were meant to replace the old hens...OMG poor Tony!! I'm such a bad mommy...
hit.gif

I'll put the lil hen back in the morning just in case...Let him sleep tonight.

Back
Top Bottom