Lethargic Rooster

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
My three year old Sussex Rooster is lethargic, his comb is bright red but he seems to have no energy and spends most of his time laying down or standing with his head between hs legs. I have today started giving him some vitamin B complex, I am at a loss as to how to help him otherwise. Any input would be grayefully received by him and me. Many thanks!

How old is he? Is he able to lift his head up and to eat and drink if you offer him some water and feed up to his beak? If he is having signs of wry neck, vitamin E 400 IU can be added. How do his poops look? Have you had a sick chicken before?

Can you tell us your location, where the rooster sleeps, how does his poop look, what has he been eating, and did you bring in a new bird?

How old is he? Is he able to lift his head up and to eat and drink if you offer him some water and feed up to his beak? If he is having signs of wry neck, vitamin E 400 IU can be added. How do his poops look? Have you had a sick chicken before?
He is three years old, he eats and drinks normally when he is in the coop, poops are slighty liquid. Yes, have had a few sick chickens before and thanks to previous advice from you most have gone on to live long lives. One thing I will add is that he can get up on to his perch at night but doesn't come down off his perch in the morning, I have been lifting him down. Oddly enough when I gave him some B vitamins earlier he perked up somewhat. I will give him some vitamin E400 IU as a precaution.

Can you tell us your location, where the rooster sleeps, how does his poop look, what has he been eating, and did you bring in a new bird?
I am in France, the rooster sleeps with my other chickens in the coop and all have lived here together for three years. No new birds added. The coop is cleaned every day and fresh bedding is put into the coop on a daily basis. The feed is purchased in large sacks and is for chickens specifically, it is stored in large bins in a dry building and no rats nor mice can access the food.

Do you know if your feed was designed for laying chickens? It's not recommended for roosters to be eating it cause the high amount of calcium content.

Do you know if your feed was designed for laying chickens? It's not recommended for roosters to be eating it cause the high amount of calcium content.
To be honest I don't know if it is designed for laying chickens, the label is just chicken feed, I will check the contents listing tomorrow, it is night time here now. Whatever is in the feed I have been using it for many years without any issues, it would be difficult for me to feed my rooster anything different as he lives with the hens and they all eat in the evening together when they go into the coop, during the day they free range the coop is for their protection from predators overnight.

I only suggested about the feed cause rooster don't process calcium like hens can. It just ends up giving them kidney damage from prolong use.

I do remember you Suzie. You are kind to say that. Many of us have fed roosters layer feed without issues. I would just make sure to continue the vitamins for awhile and make sure that he is continuing to eat and drink. Do you have another rooster that he might be afraid of? I hope that he gets better.

Back
Top Bottom