Lethargic, skinny, weak, yellow and green poop! :(

cjm14

Hatching
May 27, 2021
Hi everyone! My first post here...

I have 6 garden hens.
4 are ex batt and 2 were my brothers, one raised from a chick and one ex batt. (He moved away so they came to live with us)

The one raised from a chick has been sick the last 24 hours.

She can just about stand but can't walk. Her crop was empty, but yesterday afternoon I made her coconut oil turmeric and pepper and she ate that and started to take on water (id been syringing before that). Other than that she hasn't eaten anything.

Shes very lethargic, sleeping with her head against her water and food dishes that I have next to her. Her poo is bright yellow and green.

She tries to walk now and again but seems very wobbly and weak :(

She's just sat there hunched over sleeping, but she is alert if I go out to her. Eyes seem fine! Her breathing is fine. She's not egg bound.

She slept inside last night. She's in the garden now, separated from the others but she can still see them.

Does anyone have any ideas? She's around 7 years old

Hi everyone! My first post here...

I have 6 garden hens.
4 are ex batt and 2 were my brothers, one raised from a chick and one ex batt. (He moved away so they came to live with us)

The one raised from a chick has been sick the last 24 hours.

She can just about stand but can't walk. Her crop was empty, but yesterday afternoon I made her coconut oil turmeric and pepper and she ate that and started to take on water (id been syringing before that). Other than that she hasn't eaten anything.

Shes very lethargic, sleeping with her head against her water and food dishes that I have next to her. Her poo is bright yellow and green.

She tries to walk now and again but seems very wobbly and weak :(

She's just sat there hunched over sleeping, but she is alert if I go out to her. Eyes seem fine! Her breathing is fine. She's not egg bound.

She slept inside last night. She's in the garden now, separated from the others but she can still see them.

Does anyone have any ideas? She's around 7 years old
When did you last deworm her?

Being skinny means that she must have been unwell for quite some time already.

Did her poop turn yellow after the turmeric or was it yellow before?

When did she last lay an egg?

How does her belly feel, is it bloated and squishy or rather hard?

Yellow discharge, emaciation and the other symptoms you describe could hint to a liver issue or problems of the reproductive organs, maybe caused by infection, parasites, cancer etc.
At her advanced age there might not be much you can do, other than keeping her comfortable and maybe help her out of her misery when there is no quality of life left.

Welcome to BYC! :)

Some others will soon chime in with their thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom