Lethargic/Sleepy 2 month old GLW chick

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight-2 month old GLW

2) What is the behavior, exactly.-lethargy/sleepiness

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma-N/A

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation-Very sudden onset-she was fine 2 hours ago

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all-20% medicated chick start; water with organic ACV; raisins and yogurt; free choice chick grit(removed at this point)

6) How does the poop look-bubbly/white

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far-isolation only

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? treat myself for now/access to vet care and meds on Monday if needed.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it-Camera broken

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use-chicken tractor with a few other birds of her age and size/pine bedding

She seemed fine a short while ago.
I suspected impacted crop because I only started letting them out to free range(under close supervision) a few days ago, but her crop feels normal.
I apologize for the vagueness of this post, I am just afraid this may be the start of something bigger than simple lethargy.
I have her isolated in a large dog carried in my garage with food and water with pine shavings on the floor. She is simply sitting on the perch with her eyes closed very quietly.
No other birds showing symptoms at this point.
I have vitamins/electrolytes/antibiotics right now and access to pretty much whatever meds might help her on Monday.
Any thoughts or ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for responding. Her crop really doesn't feel all that large, but I have massaged it a couple of times anyway(figure it can't hurt).

I have her in a covered dog carrier in the garage(and I am in Southeast Texas so cold is not really an issue). I let her out a while ago and she ran around and chased me back into the garage, but just seems very "sleepy".

Not hearing any wheezing/rasping/rattling or anything like that.

I did put some bread soaked in olive oil in her cage, but she doesn't like it-she tried it.

Possibly mites/worms? I don't see any, but I wasn't sure if that could possibly cause sleepiness/lethargy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if worms would be obvious; maybe that could what is causing it if she is running around. To worm our chickens, we used Wazine 17.

Back
Top Bottom