Lethargic young chickens dying with few symptoms, advice needed please!

Definitely send one for a necropsy if they aren’t getting better. I had a similar experience with my first flock - the breeder insisted that they were perfectly healthy when he sold them to me. I chased symptoms for several weeks before I sent one to the lab. While the diagnosis was devastating (Mareks), at least I had peace of mind that it wasn’t anything I was doing wrong.

Definitely send one for a necropsy if they aren’t getting better. I had a similar experience with my first flock - the breeder insisted that they were perfectly healthy when he sold them to me. I chased symptoms for several weeks before I sent one to the lab. While the diagnosis was devastating (Mareks), at least I had peace of mind that it wasn’t anything I was doing wrong.

Oh dear, I read about Mareks and it sounds awful, I’m sorry. I don’t want to speak too soon but they don’t seem any worse off today and we haven’t lost another one.

Many of you were correct! The feed store is no longer allowed to carry amprolium, but I at least was able to pick up oyster shell grit and chick feed. The apologetic store attendant sent me home with a small bag of the medicated feed that has amprol in it, although it says right on the bag that it won’t treat an outbreak. Better than nothing for today - I found an on-call vet that will have amprolium ready for me tomorrow morning. Thank you again to everyone for their help and support! The vet said you were all spot-on with your diagnosis :)

Back
Top Bottom