Let's play "Guess the gender AND breed!" :)

FloppyEaredFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Shingle Springs
Now that my "Mystery Babies" are 4 weeks, I was hoping people could give me some insight as to breed and gender. I'm still new to this, and would like to understand the signs of guessing these things better. Thanks in advance for any help! Sorry for the not-so-great pictures. They think the camera is an evil and terrible monster coming to kill them, so getting good pictures is difficult!
The first three pictures are of two different chicks (pictured together in the third). They looked very similar when younger, but now one is noticeably bigger, has faster feather/wing development, and is darker black.
The next two are of a chick I think is at least part Welsummer. He/she has a chipmunk line down its back, and has the eye lines. This one is growing much slower than all the others. Probably half the size of most of them, and a third the size of the largest (they were all hatched the same day)
The next one (6th picture), is of a Cream Legbar and I was told a girl for sure.
The 7th and 8th pictures are of possibly a Cuckoo Maran?
The last two are of the most mysterious. No idea what this one could be. It had very slow feather development and was very fuzzy until it recently started getting some more feathers.
What I understand: Faster feather development=girl, larger=male, longer legs=male, more docile=female. Are these accurate? If so, the biggest one also had fastest wing and feather development, so it could be boy or girl? Can anyone help?!

Now that my "Mystery Babies" are 4 weeks, I was hoping people could give me some insight as to breed and gender. I'm still new to this, and would like to understand the signs of guessing these things better. Thanks in advance for any help! Sorry for the not-so-great pictures. They think the camera is an evil and terrible monster coming to kill them, so getting good pictures is difficult!
The first three pictures are of two different chicks (pictured together in the third). They looked very similar when younger, but now one is noticeably bigger, has faster feather/wing development, and is darker black.
The next two are of a chick I think is at least part Welsummer. He/she has a chipmunk line down its back, and has the eye lines. This one is growing much slower than all the others. Probably half the size of most of them, and a third the size of the largest (they were all hatched the same day)
The next one (6th picture), is of a Cream Legbar and I was told a girl for sure.
The 7th and 8th pictures are of possibly a Cuckoo Maran?
The last two are of the most mysterious. No idea what this one could be. It had very slow feather development and was very fuzzy until it recently started getting some more feathers.
What I understand: Faster feather development=girl, larger=male, longer legs=male, more docile=female. Are these accurate? If so, the biggest one also had fastest wing and feather development, so it could be boy or girl? Can anyone help?!
LEFT AND MIDDLE ARE CUCKOO MARAN. MIDDLE IS MALE, CANT SEE THE FACE OF THE ONE ON THE LEFT. FAR RIGHT LOOKS LIKE MAYBE A BLUE ANDAUSIAN.
BLUE ANDALUSIAN?
T=""]

The first 2 look like Australorps - I can see the pink toes...the 1st one is a cockeral, the 2nd is a pullet.

3rd one could be many things - Welsummer could be one of them, or could be a OEG if it stays small, they both have the same head color as chicks. I don't believe it is an EE since the legs aren't green and it doesnt have fuzzy cheeks. Also EEs grow incredibly quickly as chicks and usually end up the largest in the brooder. It does look like a pullet for sure.

Not going to comment on the 4th as I have no idea about leghorns, but that is a pullet.

5th looks like a Maran, hard to tell if the legs are white or whitish or not...again pullet.

6th is a stumper...it does look more blue than black and the pics don't show the feet. It could be another Australorp or a JG or several other "blue" things - it is, however, a cockeral.

Thank you SO much for the replies!!! I have been going nuts wondering! :) It would be great if there's only two cockerels in the group! We were planning on keeping the sweetest boy anyway, so that only leaves one that we can't keep :) They could be mixes too. If so, would traits of one breed be dominant, or would they look like a little of both?

Here's the feet of the first two...so Australorp maybe?

And here's the feet of the last one (dark ones in the middle). Does that help at all? I've always thought this one was SO CUTE, so if he's nice, we might keep him :)

Sorry the first post is kind of long and confusing with the pictures not placed in with the words like allmychickens did. Still new at this! Thank you so much!

I know it's a little early, but I'm just having so much fun learning about all the possibilities for these little ones. They are just so fun to look at and have other peole talk about too :)

The ones in the picture below have feathered legs, so they are not Australorps.
Thank you SO much for the replies!!! I have been going nuts wondering!
smile.png
It would be great if there's only two cockerels in the group! We were planning on keeping the sweetest boy anyway, so that only leaves one that we can't keep
smile.png
They could be mixes too. If so, would traits of one breed be dominant, or would they look like a little of both?

Here's the feet of the first two...so Australorp maybe?

And here's the feet of the last one (dark ones in the middle). Does that help at all? I've always thought this one was SO CUTE, so if he's nice, we might keep him
smile.png

Sorry the first post is kind of long and confusing with the pictures not placed in with the words like allmychickens did. Still new at this! Thank you so much!

Hi again! Here are updated pictures. They are almost 11 weeks now! We are definitely enjoying them! Sadly, we had one loss due to our dog :( Number five in the pictures above. He was definitely was a cockeral, and went out saving his flock. He let them get away to safety. We had REALLY started to like him and were excited to keep him. But he did his duty. Now we are hoping there is one other male. I think there is one, but I am not as sure about him as I was about the one who died.
Here they are in the same order as posted above.
Number 1 and 2: They have changed to be almost completely black except number 1 has pretty green and brown shimmers (seen in sunlight) in its fethers with a speckling of white on its chest, and number 2 has pretty teal shimmers. Neither one has a large comb, but number two's is more red. Number one has a larger wider body and number two is more slender.
Number 1:

Number 2:

Number 3: This one was SUPER slow to develop, but is starting to catch up. Still no sign of any comb. At all. No idea what it is, but I am assuming pullet. But maybe that will turn out to be wrong. This one is the hardest to get good pictures of so please excuse the lack of photography skills.
(no comb)
(size comparison)
Is the lack of comb a bad sign?
Number 4: We bought her as a cream legbar pullet, and so far she is living up to that. Here she is taking a relaxing dustbath :)

Number 5: Cuckoo marans mix cockeral RIP (picture from several weeks ago)

Number 6: This was the little mystery fluffy gray thing. The comb and wattles are pretty huge which make me assume cockeral, but they are still not very red, the body is huge and fat (aren't roosters usually lean and tall as opposed to hens which are more stout and wide?), and compared to the one that died, this one does not act like a boy. But maybe it will start to if it was simply not as dominant as the other one?

And one more all together dustbathing. Aren't they so cute? :)

Alright. Lay it on me. What do all the chicken geniuses think about my little "mutts"? :)

Back
Top Bottom