Let's play "Who’s a Roo?" Cuckoo & Copper Black Marans & mystery chick

CiCountryGirlty

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
So I got me these 7 straight run chicks off of good ole craigslist… supposed to be cuckoo marans… yeah well… I think I got 4 cuckoos and 2 copper black marans and one mule(?) But, it's all about the adventure isn’t it…
roll.png
anyway… I tried to pick hens based on headspots... but I must have at least one roo... someone in the screams and I have heard that is a proto-crow... who knows... maybe they are all roos! These are my first chickens so what do I know!
big_smile.png

For your guessing pleasure here are my seven 5.5week old chicks, 4 cuckoos first then 2 copper black then the mystery mule. So do you think they are hens or roos and do you think I have guessed correctly and what breed do you think Mule might be? All guesses and any other commentary greatly appreciated. Pics are from my cell phone so a bit less than ideal...

Begin Cuckoos
Inky HEN?
84908_inky1.jpg

84908_inky2.jpg

84908_inky3.jpg

Pumpkin (has orthopedic issues but seems to get along fine) ROO?
84908_pumpkin1.jpg

84908_pumpkin2.jpg

84908_pumpkin3.jpg

84908_pumpkin4.jpg

84908_pumpkin5.jpg

Houdini ( so named because when I banding them, she kept disappearing into the flock) HEN?
84908_houdini1.jpg

84908_houdini2.jpg

84908_houdini3.jpg

84908_houdini4.jpg

84908_houdini5.jpg

Kudzu HEN?
84908_kudzu1.jpg

84908_kudzu2.jpg

84908_kudzu3.jpg

84908_kudzu4.jpg

84908_kudzu5.jpg

84908_kudzu6.jpg

84908_kudzu7.jpg

Begin Copper Blacks

Blu (ironcally Blu has some red highlights coming in on his(?) head/neck) ROO?
84908_blue1.jpg

84908_blue2.jpg

84908_blue3.jpg

84908_blue4.jpg

84908_blue5.jpg

84908_blue6.jpg

Invisiroo (so named, because this chick is a wallflower...also has so red just starting, but less than Blu) HEN?
84908_invisiroo1.jpg

84908_invisiroo2.jpg

84908_invisiroo3.jpg

84908_invisiroo4.jpg

84908_invisiroo5.jpg

84908_invisiroo6.jpg

84908_invisiroo7.jpg

Begin what the heck is this one?

Mule (stubborn, not all that friendly and small) HEN?
84908_mule1.jpg

84908_mule2.jpg

84908_mule3.jpg

84908_mule4.jpg

84908_mule5.jpg

Yep, I'd have to agree. I saw the same thing and intended to post the same -- which I'm doing: the last two, the feather-shanked birds including the mule look line pullets. The feet on one of the cockerels look bad; I wouldn't breed him.

I understand the wing feathers on the cuckoos and coppers can indicate gender, but these are so obvious I don't feel inclined to re-fresh myself (but you can if you're curious).

Good luck. Maybe the first ones will taste good?! *shrugs*

OR, maybe if you have a half-way decent cuckoo roo, we could talk. I have some cuckoo hens (half-way decent, not brilliant). Currently I have a splash Marans on them as I lost my feather shanked cuckoo roo. Drats!

Good luck. I understand there are tasty recipes hiding in this forum.
big_smile.png

Yep, well... that is the way my life is going... all 71% roos. LOL
idunno.gif

Now that I am looking at pics of 2 and 3 mo old marans, I can see that the pullets have almost no comb still. So I am pretty confident that y'all are right, 71% roos. Good thing I was already thinking of these as practice birds. I got to practice not killing them and trying to moderate the temperatures and the dogs got to practice their "not food" skills. KlaHaYa, if you really want one/all of the roos, you can have them but Washington is a bit far from Raleigh, NC. Anyone (local) who wants them should feel free to email me. I feel bad for Pumpkin (bad feet) as I can't have roos in the city and he and another unclaimed roos be going to the local chicken auction where I can unload them.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what kind of chicken Mule is? Any chance that she is cuckoo ?

Off to look at hatchery webpages...
roll.png

Thanks all!

I think Mother may have referring to the pea comb that Blu is sporting. I agree cause I haven't seen any maran pics where they have pea combs...and Invisiroo has the same coloring and feathering, but not the evident comb. AND I certainly have heard a si vous plait out of them!
tongue.png
I am now guessing that they are Brahmas... anyone care to confirm or kill that idea?
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom