lets see the "ugly" coops plz

reiterating the OP was NOT trying to point out "ugly" coops and chose that title only as an incenctive to get more people to share their not so grand and fancy coops so that others could be inspired by the simplicity and function of nonfancy coops everywhere. As I was reading threads it seemed to me that some people may be less than thrilled to share because they didnt have a fancy coop is all. If you look at mine it is not fancy either but it works and I am proud of every inch all the way up to the handmade barn trusses I topped it off with. I hope we dont get too far offtopic and remember it is only a forum to share, not a competition or other event that requires one upmanship or bickering to espouse our point of view over another....now back to the beautiful and creative "ugly" coops please
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your pictures! It really helped to give me some great and creative ideas for a new coop for my parents. (they really can't afford to buy something, and it's difficult to find someone who can build one also so half/built recycled items are great!) I really love the pictures as it opened my eyes to where i might find possible solutions! (such as the old trailer! I wouldn't have thought of that but there are probably a lot of those people might even give away for free that would already have decent insulation for the poor little chickens out in the cold!)

This is our coop..we built it for less then $50 using rough cut wood and 4x4's the lumber co had in their burn pile it's on cedar runners too so we can move it if we need to the nesting boxes are laundry baskets from wal-mart about $2 a piece (milk crates work good too) when they get dirty I just spray them off. And yes that is a goat on top of the coop
before the nesting boxes were moved to other side
48271_picture_641.jpg

48271_amys_old_pics_047.jpg

48271_amys_old_pics_046.jpg

48271_amys_old_pics_048.jpg

Last edited:
There is a small run behind the coop for my daughters bantams about 3 feet tall, then there is a storage shed about 6 foot tall, and then the coop roof. So they would jump on the bantams cage, then the shed, and then the coop. When all 3 were up there it was really funny but I never could get pics of that they always seemed to jumped down before I could get the camera. The chickens, especially the roos, get up there too. The roos like to get up there and crow their little hearts out

This has been one of the best threads I've seen here.

I'm glad the op put "ugly" in quotes. It's not really about ugly, it's about affordable, available, ingenuity, etc. All good things unless you are a PIA neighbor.

Maybe "coops not submitted for the Martha Stewart Award"?????

Good for all of you.

I don't have a camera or I could add to the show.

Back
Top Bottom