Let's see those Brahmas!

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I have heard and read wonderful things about Brahmas. I plan on placing an order with Ideal just as soon as they have some available.
I am having a hell of a time deciding on a color (light or dark). I am ruling out Buff because I will be raising Buff Orpingtons and Buff Silkies.

I am also not sure if I should get standards or bantams or both.

I'd love to see pictures and stories... thanks!

Last edited:
Brahmas are wonderful layers, and beautiful birds. The roos are very large, and you will hear conflicting stories of whether they're naughty or nice... it all depends on your flock conditions, I reckon!
We only have light brahmas, standards...
This was Charlotte, my chatterbox hen.
Charlotte-1.jpg

This was Dominic I as a youngster...
IMG_1974.jpg

Now see, I do love the buff Brahmas and have an order in for March to get about 20.
droolin.gif

I have buff Orpingtons and 2 buff Silkies but considering I have a lot of other dark colors of various other breeds then I am going back with another buff color. It is just a nice pretty color to mix in with the flocks. They look so good beside the Jersey Giants and barred Rocks as well as partridge Rocks.
I really do not care for the light or dark Brahmas.
Sorry, I can't tell you much about the breed as I have only one mix here right now and she is a nice bird.
D.gif

I have two Dark Brahma pullets, I really like them. They do stand out among all the other breeds. They're really big, nearly as big as the Jersey Giants and even taller. Very fluffy and mellow and so pretty!

They haven't started laying yet though, they're 8 months old, but it's about *0-F out and I don't use supplimental light in the winter.

DarkBrahma2.jpg

Ruffles5.jpg

Ruffles1-Copy.jpg

009.jpg

Ruffles-1.jpg

Ali-1.jpg

I have raised try to raised them twice, and both times they would lay for a while and then they would starting eating their eggs. I never had trouble with any of my other breeds that I have raised. It may just be the blood line mines came from. As for the birds their selfs they were big pets very calm and very pretty. I sold out of them because of the egg things, but I loved their personalty and apperance.

Here's my Buff Brahma, Caroline, almost 2 yrs old. You can see the Lt. Brahmas fluffy rear, but I cant find a recent picture of her. Caroline has very little foot feathering, though Miranda has an okay amount. They are Ideal birds.
DCP_1826.jpg

the eggs of the bantam are quite small but the standards are med. to large. They both are really pretty. I have two that are now laying for two weeks. They chatter a bit but are mostly calm. They sure are pretty and fluffy. Jean

Thanks for sharing pics! I LOVE the dark Brahma pullets, they are beautiful. I think I might get a trio of standard dark Brahmas (2 hens, 1 roo) (I saw a pic of a Brahma roo and holy COW was he HUGE!!!) and a trio of light Brahma bantams.
big_smile.png

If you're ordering from Ideal, I'd go with the darks. Most of my darks are very nice (for hatchery stock). My lights are not as close to the standard, but they're great layers and were the first of my Ideal chicks to mature and lay.
Is there anyone on BYC that I haven't shown a pic of Thor yet???
lol.png
roll.png

Okay, get ready for brahma overload:

A couple of darks @ 5 weeks old

darkhr1.jpg

A buff, I think she was about 8 weeks old

pulleteight003.jpg

Thor @ 7 months old

tabbymoult003.jpg

Some of my gang @ 6 months old

PA160005.jpg

Thor @ 8 months old

thordec001.jpg

Zeus @ 8 months old. He's a very nice roo to look at, but his comb & wattles are all wrong for the breed. His comb is sort of a cross between a single and a pea comb.

zeusdec.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom