Let's see your dishes for feeding fermented feed

Right now I am using the same trough feeder I was using when I was giving them dry feed,..

...but I am thinking of making a larger one with a removable 'roof' (or tray, I haven't decided which yet) to make it easier to pour in the wet fermented feed.

Prior to starting with FF, I had a plastic hanging feeder where the hopper twisted into the plastic base. When I switched to ff, I feed too thick to use the hopper, but discovered that an old brooder lamp guard was the same size as the feeder dish. So I just drilled holes at four corners and it has worked great for my seven hens. For winter, I'm using a lightbulb in the block to keep from freezing. Easily refillable, easily washable when needed.

Have you seen those raised dog bowls? I made some out of plywood and glued legs onto the plywood, cut holes out so the bowls rest securely in the top. This elevates the FF so dirt and debris isn't kicked into it, and the chickens can't kick over the bowls.

This also permits me to take the bowls indoors every few days and wash them, keeping things clean.

Have you seen those raised dog bowls? I made some out of plywood and glued legs onto the plywood, cut holes out so the bowls rest securely in the top. This elevates the FF so dirt and debris isn't kicked into it, and the chickens can't kick over the bowls.

This also permits me to take the bowls indoors every few days and wash them, keeping things clean.
I would LOOOOOVE to see a picture of this?!

Last edited:
Right now I am using the same trough feeder I was using when I was giving them dry feed,..

...but I am thinking of making a larger one with a removable 'roof' (or tray, I haven't decided which yet) to make it easier to pour in the wet fermented feed.

Prior to starting with FF, I had a plastic hanging feeder where the hopper twisted into the plastic base. When I switched to ff, I feed too thick to use the hopper, but discovered that an old brooder lamp guard was the same size as the feeder dish. So I just drilled holes at four corners and it has worked great for my seven hens. For winter, I'm using a lightbulb in the block to keep from freezing. Easily refillable, easily washable when needed.

I feed my chickens in shallow rubber bowls, plastic bowls (made by cutting the bottom off old 5 gallon buckets) and wooden troughs made out of old pallets.

works for us
These are all nice ideas. Thank you
I ordered one of these. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'm setting it on cinder blocks.

Back
Top Bottom