Lets talk Kitchen sinks... What do you like?

Pics

room onthebroom

Advocate
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 4, 2015
33. N -117.W
I'll be in the market for a new kitchen sink soon & I want to hear everybody's input on what they have, what they like & why they like it.

I'm considering getting a single, rectangular basin instead of the normal 2 sided square I usually have. Does anybody have one? What do you like/dislike about it? Do you prefer stainless steel, porcelain, or something else & why?

Can ya all help a girl out? :pop

Stainless, undermount, single sink, farmhouse style. Wouldn't go back to a double bowl sink if you paid me.
IMG_0419.JPG

I'm the odd man out here, as usual lol, but I like the triple bowl sinks the best. When preparing cottage foods, or food processing it helps to have separate sink areas. I do not have a dishwasher, so separate bowls to wash and rinse at a minimum are imperative for me. I have a 2 basin stainless sink but I would LOVE to have one with 3 basins to wash, rinse, and sanitize (as per food handling requirements when doing cottage foods). As it is now, I have to use a separate plastic basin next to my sink for sanitizing.

The 3 basin setup is also really handy for cleaning fish, butchering, and the more messy kitchen jobs.

All really good points. I definitely want to be able to soak large pans, but hadn't thought about washing hands while someone is doing food prep.

Dobie is the black granite you're describing like VW's? It sounds beautiful.

Shannon, I'm off to search triple bowls. My thoughts might be dated, but if I remember correctly they are the two standard squares with the small shallow basin in the middle?

Ooooh! I love, love, love my granite sink! Remodeled 6.5 years ago, I skimped on the cabinets so I could splurge on granite countertop and sink. I chose the deep double bowl, with one side smaller. I have the disposal in the small side. My worry was breaking things in it, but it hasn't been any worse than stainless or any other type.
blanco-441592-1941797.jpg

All really good points. I definitely want to be able to soak large pans, but hadn't thought about washing hands while someone is doing food prep.

Dobie is the black granite you're describing like VW's? It sounds beautiful.

Shannon, I'm off to search triple bowls. My thoughts might be dated, but if I remember correctly they are the two standard squares with the small shallow basin in the middle?
One thing you need to keep in mind as you are searching for your perfect sink is the type of drain you have. Is it an "S" trap or a "P" trap? If it's a "P" trap, how much room will you have between the sink tail pipes and the waste arm that goes through the wall and into the drain? I had to re-position my rough-in plumbing to drop the waste arm to accommodate a deeper sink than what was originally in the sink base.

I haven't read everything, but if you are not replacing your countertop at the same time you are limited by your existing countertop. You need to find a sink that fits the same template and the basin fits in the same cabinet footprint.

If you previously had an over-mount sink and are keeping your counters, you likely need to buy a new over-mount sink as the counter edges won't be finished properly to install an under mount sink. Under-mount sinks can typically only be installed in solid surface countertops (granite or quartz NOT formica or tile) due to the need to have a finished counter edge around the sink.

I do not live in a family where every dish gets cleaned every day after every meal. I like having a sink with two basins so that dirty dishes can be in one and then I still have usable sink space left for other things, washing hands or veggies or draining off boiling water etc.

I have never had anything other than stainless so cannot comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom