Lets talk vent size - Ridge and soffit

sergofast

Hatching
Jul 10, 2023
I'm in the midst of building a new coop for 20 ladies (in the VA WV area). The coop is 8ft x 8ft with a gabled roof that's just about 7ft. high at the ridge. I'm using the deep bedding method and have all the details worked out but how big of a hole the soffit should be. It doesn't get horribly cold here but because this is an opening in the coop I dont want it too drafty!

Please post pictures of your coop. There's no reason not to leave all the spaces open between your rafters and your top plate and roof decking then pair the soffit vents with gable and vents as well as a ridge vent.
You want to think in terms of square feet not square inches. Having windows all the way around at roost height that can be left open during the hot summer months is also very beneficial.
That is how I designed my coop and it works very well.
2CAA8E144C7F_1574876951434.jpg

Welcome to BYC.

Here's my article on coop ventilation: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

You want to think in terms of square feet not square inches.

Amen and amen.

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen. Many situations will need more, but that's a good starting place.

The goal is that the inside and outside should be the same temperature on a blistering-hot sunny day.

Welcome to BYC.

Here's my article on coop ventilation: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Amen and amen.

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen. Many situations will need more, but that's a good starting place.

The goal is that the inside and outside should be the same temperature on a blistering-hot sunny day.
Can you expand on how to calculate the square foot of ventilation? I'm not following.

This is what I'm planning but I've got some really nice (not drafty) windows that will open up during the summer.

1689215166684.png

Can you expand on how to calculate the square foot of ventilation? I'm not following.

1 square foot is 1 foot wide and 1 foot tall. Or 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Or 4 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Or a triangle under your gable peak that is 2 feet wide at the bottom and one foot tall.

If you're measuring odd sizes in inches you can convert your square inches to square feet here.

If you're using manufactured ridge vent there should be something on the spec sheet that tells you how many square inches it has per foot of length. :)

1 square foot is 1 foot wide and 1 foot tall. Or 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Or 4 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Or a triangle under your gable peak that is 2 feet wide at the bottom and one foot tall.

If you're measuring odd sizes in inches you can convert your square inches to square feet here.

If you're using manufactured ridge vent there should be something on the spec sheet that tells you how many square inches it has per foot of length. :)
Ah - Now I'm tracking. Does this include the windows and other openings or just the soffits? I've got 20 birds so that's nearly an entire wall and a half of this coop.... 8ftx8ftx5ft tall walls.

Ah - Now I'm tracking. Does this include the windows and other openings or just the soffits? I've got 20 birds so that's nearly an entire wall and a half of this coop.... 8ftx8ftx5ft tall walls.

Yes, the ventilation need is for everything that will be open 24/7/365. If you ever close it then it doesn't count.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
20 hens
  • 80 square feet in the coop. 8'x10' is the most practical because 7'x12' or 6'x14' require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 20 feet of roost
  • 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
  • 20 square feet of ventilation.
  • 5 nest boxes.
Whether you can leave an entire wall open or not will depend on your weather. The Woods Coop is designed for excellent, draft-free ventilation even in the coldest climates.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-kd-knock-down-10-by-16-coop-pictorial.75421/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alaskan-woods-coop.75752/

Back
Top Bottom