LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Hi! Hi! Hi! Found my place :)

I became a 'chicken fancier' when in march, we where bored out of our minds and my mom said "can we get chickens?".. with so much free time, we jumped right in. Bought 4 chickens from tractor supply, got bit in the butt with the "chicken addiction", and brought three more home. Built a chicken coop, that was way harder than it should of been, and here we are.
Welcome!!
I am also new to chickens, getting our first 8 last December!
Do you have any pics of your hens? We love pictures!!!!!

I have a few, not many. I never take my phone outside with me, oopsies.

a9c3907d8d82f21d533d7db69de166fb.jpg
Here is truvy, Dotty and Lousia are in my Profile photo. I'll transfer some more photos over to my laptop later. I need to share photos of my Favorite hen (but don't tell anybody else). She so talkitive! I always go outside and call "Claireeeeeeeeeee" and she makes noises back. We have whole "conversations" together. When she was little we debated her being a Roo! She HAD to be on your shoulder all the time.

I have a few, not many. I never take my phone outside with me, oopsies.

View attachment 2543226 Here is truvy, Dotty and Lousia are in my Profile photo. I'll transfer some more photos over to my laptop later. I need to share photos of my Favorite hen (but don't tell anybody else). She so talkitive! I always go outside and call "Claireeeeeeeeeee" and she makes noises back. We have whole "conversations" together. When she was little we debated her being a Roo! She HAD to be on your shoulder all the time.
Awww... pretty baby.
That’s so cute that you have conversations with Claire. I too have a favorite “Tot”, named by my kids. She always gets the first taste of whatever treat I bring out and talks to me the whole time. I can’t wait for spring so we can play with them in the yard.

Its only been warm the past two days, so I've spent plenty of time talking to Claire. The others wonder off when they realise I have nothing for them. Claire sticks around and has PLENTY to tell me.
Yeah warm here too, in Pennysylvania, the beautiful white snow is melting all over the place... except in our hens run which is in the back of our yard under large pine trees and is mostly shade. Which is great in the summer when it gets home and humid... not so much now. I feel guilty and they complain every time I see them. Well they sqwak, but I interpret it as complaining.

Haha, Our girls's coop is in the sun, with no shade (we have no shade trees the backyard). They free range every day weather permitting (they wont come out if its cold), During the summer they usually end up on the back deck in the shade.

The sun is great for the winter, it hits the coop and keeps it warm. I don't think they made their way to the run all of Jan.!

Every morning I check the weather, if its warm enough, I throw out scratch, and let them loose. They spend all day roosting where they are not meant to roost, or pecking at the ground. My favorite thing to watch is their dirt baths. Nothing funnier than a chicken rolling around in the dirt :O

Not sure. It from a Chinese YouTube videographer. Soft tofu, toasted red Sichuan peppercorns that I ground, ginger, garlic, broad bean chili paste, peanut oil, fermented black beans and just a bit of crisp minced pork, all very slightly thickened with arrowroot. We put it over sweet rice. I use Chinese cooking techniques in a very well loved wok. Sometimes we add in oyster sauce as I fry the garlic, ginger, chili paste and black beans. Sometimes not. Depends on mood

Not sure. It from a Chinese YouTube videographer. Soft tofu, toasted red Sichuan peppercorns that I ground, ginger, garlic, broad bean chili paste, peanut oil, fermented black beans and just a bit of crisp minced pork, all very slightly thickened with arrowroot. We put it over sweet rice. I use Chinese cooking techniques in a very well loved wok. Sometimes we add in oyster sauce as I fry the garlic, ginger, chili paste and black beans. Sometimes not. Depends on mood.
Sounds like a Cantonese style mapo tofu. In Sichuan (the place of origin) they use one box of soft tofu (cut into cubes), 150g of ground beef (they like to use ones with fat), minced garlic and ginger (you add them based on your own preference). For the sauce they use soysauce 1tbs, 2 tbs Sichuan chili bean paste (Doubanjiang 豆瓣酱), 3 tbs of sugar, 3 tbs sweet and spicy bean paste (tian mian Jiang 甜辣酱), 1 spicy green chili pepper (in China they use one called the 川辣椒 Chuan chili, but since we don't have it out here we can use 2 Jalapeño pepper). Seasoning they use, 1 tbs if salt, 1 tbs of chicken bouillon powder (if you can't get that you can use msg, Japanese dashi powder or a packet of instant noodle soup flavor), 2 tbs of cooking wine (liao jiu 料酒, you can use alcohol of your preference if you don't have cooking wine, since it's all about the fragrance), 1 tbs of oyster sauce, Chinese 5 spice powder, 1 Chinese sugar rock candy, 2 cups of Sichuan peppercorn water. For garnish you use grounded Sichuan peppercorn, chili flakes, finely chopped red chili (dried if possible) , chopped green onions, 2 tbs of boiling oil. If you want to know how to make it feel free to ask.

Haha, Our girls's coop is in the sun, with no shade (we have no shade trees the backyard). They free range every day weather permitting (they wont come out if its cold), During the summer they usually end up on the back deck in the shade.

The sun is great for the winter, it hits the coop and keeps it warm. I don't think they made their way to the run all of Jan.!

Every morning I check the weather, if its warm enough, I throw out scratch, and let them loose. They spend all day roosting where they are not meant to roost, or pecking at the ground. My favorite thing to watch is their dirt baths. Nothing funnier than a chicken rolling around in the dirt :O
That’s much smarter!
We used to let our chickens out every morning and let them run around free. It was lovely and I know they loved it too. But unfortunately a fox came and killed my previous favorite “Honey” and now they must stay in their run for safety.
To be honest we’ve had a lot of hawk interest too so it was bound to be something.
Hopefully they’ll be ok in the yard when we’re outside too. I’m counting the days......

Back
Top Bottom