LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0125686

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4425/13/12/2253

Okay so! Wasn’t actually cancer specifically, what it was is a poor immune system and poor muscular growth. The poor immune system is why I’ve seen so many people with birds with cancer and other illnesses.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And the immune system could always be part of just poor genetics and breeding too, couldn't it?

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And the immune system could always be part of just poor genetics and breeding too, couldn't it?

Yes, which would explain why this study was done on silkies. I don't know about the other breed, so I guess there is some connection between muscular development and immunity and the fibro gene

It very well could. Any high fibro bird is going to be really inbred. I know Ayam Cemanis seem to deal with a lot of immune issues, having spoken to people who own them. But I’m not sure about sumatras. I think they’d be an interesting bird to compare against and see if it’s just a cemani and silkie thing or something else.

Also it looks like the second study isn’t silkies but another Chinese breed.

It very well could. Any high fibro bird is going to be really inbred. I know Ayam Cemanis seem to deal with a lot of immune issues, having spoken to people who own them. But I’m not sure about sumatras. I think they’d be an interesting bird to compare against and see if it’s just a cemani and silkie thing or something else.

3EE6A491-A075-47DB-884F-A7642BEB7753.png

Yeah not a silkie

Image description: Screenshot of a google image search for Tengchong Snow Chicken. The image displayed is a rooster with white feathers and a dark red, almost black face.

That's why I said I don't know about the other breed. Silkies definitely don't have the best breeding, but since the second study was done on another breed there's definitely some correlation between the fibro gene and the problems you listed

Let me guess, a fancy hatchery mix?
Not really a hatchery mix anymore. Mosaics breed true now for the most part. The Moonglow were all white ones that didn't have any black on them. They were a type of sport that would pop up from the regular mosaics. I used to have a little flock of mosaics with a Moonglow hen

Back
Top Bottom