Lice and how to deal in the cold temps.

Let me know since I’ll probably have to do my chickens after my goats!
It actually seemed to work they didn’t run when I saw them lol so I think this is a win for sure! It’s so windy here atm! We get lots of that s word here bc we r close to erie

It actually seemed to work they didn’t run when I saw them lol so I think this is a win for sure! It’s so windy here atm! We get lots of that s word here bc we r close to erie
We get the wind because we sit in the low part of a farming valley..so it’s like a tunnel roars through..but we love it...

I agree about not bothering with the DE. Permethrin dust is available, and I use it under new bedding and in nest boxes under the bedding too. The spray has directions in the label, and you can spray every inch of the coop during the day when it's not freezing, and spritz some on each bird at night when they are roosting. You don't want to get them too wet, for sure.
Lice and mites are the pits!
Repeat in ten to fourteen days at least.
Mary
I agree with Mary. I do the same thing but I spray weekly initially. Permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so repeat thoroughly spraying the inside of the coop including walls, ceiling, floors, on and under the roosts, everywhere and anywhere, cracks and crevices is necessary. I use a gallon sprayer with a wand which is great to get to the hard to reach areas. There is no egg withdrawal period. I get everything at TSC. They carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. I use the dust on the birds and in the nest boxes and the spray in the coops. Good luck...

Whatever you do, wear at least a N95 dust mask, gloves, jacket, everything. Inhaling ANY product is bad news!
I try to avoid dusting my birds if possible, but in very cold weather it's safer for them.
Mary

I agree too on wearing protective wear, mostly a mask. I also wear vinyl type gloves. I have certain clothes I wear including shoes.

Well, because the rain doesn't make it to the skin and the permethrin has to be on skin or it's ineffective ;)
I use spray in summer and dust in winter.
They weren’t soaked to the skin and I sprayed under all feathers. Payed close attention to all the warm areas under wings, vents, etc. we had 50mph winds last night and snow today. I will resort in a week weather depending. If it’s still too cold I will go with the dust but will have to be ona Sunday to do outside.

Back
Top Bottom