Lice on expecting broody hen.

sarahb19243

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Western North Carolina
I have a Buff Orpington who has been sitting on eggs for around 2 and 1/2 weeks now. She has only about 4 more days until day 21. She has been very dedicated sitting on the eggs. Now before she went broody and started basically living full time in the coop, she would be the hen "preferred" by our rooster. So slowly over the summer she started losing a patch feathers on her back (I just assumed it was from the rooster.) And then the little bald spot grew to the point where she started to get sun burnt. So I ordered a hen saddle/apron for her to wear during the day so her skin wouldn't get burnt anymore. I would take the saddle off at night and then put it back on in the morning before I let everyone out. So long story short, when I went to take her little saddle off this evening I noticed some movement around the bald patch. I went inside and grabbed my flash light so I could see what it was. As soon as the light hit her back, tons of small lice scattered everywhere back into hiding. I am almost positive that these things are lice because I read other forums describing what they would look like etc. Now back to my issue with her being broody. I really don't want her chicks to catch the lice from her when they hatch. Luckily, I had another hen go broody on some golf balls a little over a week ago who, as far as my knowledge, is lice free. So if need be, should I move the eggs under my Orpington for the other hen to hatch out? I would really hate to do that to her since like I said earlier, she has been so dedicated. But if it would be better for the chicks I would do it.

Is it possible for me to treat her with something within four days and her still be able to hatch her eggs out safely? I read that you could use 2 different kinds of permethrin 10, a powder and a spray. Would anyone recommend one over the other? Or maybe something completely different? I do plan on treating my whole flock, and completely cleaning the coop out. Any suggestions on something to put in the coop to kill any lice living in the cracks?

Thanks in advance!

I had the exact same issue with my broody hen. I put 1 drop of Front line on her at the back of her neck. Problem solved. I have used it for years. It started one year when I purchased 3 hens from a local breeder. They were muddy and smelly. I gave them a bath and within minutes I was coveted with mites! After 3 showers and scrubbing my skin raw, I found several articles saying 1 drop of Frontline would do the trick.Good luck

I had the exact same issue with my broody hen. I put 1 drop of Front line on her at the back of her neck. Problem solved. I have used it for years. It started one year when I purchased 3 hens from a local breeder. They were muddy and smelly. I gave them a bath and within minutes I was coveted with mites! After 3 showers and scrubbing my skin raw, I found several articles saying 1 drop of Frontline would do the trick.Good luck

Thank you so much! This may be a stupid question, but would it matter whether or not it (Frontline) was for cats or dogs? Also about how fast do you think it would take effect?

I have a Buff Orpington who has been sitting on eggs for around 2 and 1/2 weeks now. She has only about 4 more days until day 21. She has been very dedicated sitting on the eggs. Now before she went broody and started basically living full time in the coop, she would be the hen "preferred" by our rooster. So slowly over the summer she started losing a patch feathers on her back (I just assumed it was from the rooster.) And then the little bald spot grew to the point where she started to get sun burnt. So I ordered a hen saddle/apron for her to wear during the day so her skin wouldn't get burnt anymore. I would take the saddle off at night and then put it back on in the morning before I let everyone out. So long story short, when I went to take her little saddle off this evening I noticed some movement around the bald patch. I went inside and grabbed my flash light so I could see what it was. As soon as the light hit her back, tons of small lice scattered everywhere back into hiding. I am almost positive that these things are lice because I read other forums describing what they would look like etc. Now back to my issue with her being broody. I really don't want her chicks to catch the lice from her when they hatch. Luckily, I had another hen go broody on some golf balls a little over a week ago who, as far as my knowledge, is lice free. So if need be, should I move the eggs under my Orpington for the other hen to hatch out? I would really hate to do that to her since like I said earlier, she has been so dedicated. But if it would be better for the chicks I would do it.

Is it possible for me to treat her with something within four days and her still be able to hatch her eggs out safely? I read that you could use 2 different kinds of permethrin 10, a powder and a spray. Would anyone recommend one over the other? Or maybe something completely different? I do plan on treating my whole flock, and completely cleaning the coop out. Any suggestions on something to put in the coop to kill any lice living in the cracks?

Thanks in advance!
I would use the permethrin based product on your hen. Spray or powder is fine - it really depends on your preference of application.
Poultry dust can be found at your local feed store. You will want to treat her so your chicks don't get lice/mites as well.

Personally I would only use a product specified for use on poultry.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

Last edited:
I'm new to chickens but would diatomaceous earth work? (Food grade only!) Not sure if it works for mites/fleas, but it's done wonders for the fly population! Just a thought.

As for Frontline for dogs or cats, i wouldn't really know. I have 4 small dogs, French bulldog, beagle, pug, maltipoo, and have only tried the Frontline Plus. I realize that lots of people use only products specifically for chickens. Truth is , right here on BYC, Ive seen recommendations for antibiotic use on chickens that is specifically for other farm animals. The hens i used the Frontline on hatched out their babies just fine. Seriously, you only need 1 drop, just 1 !!! By the way, we always use Agricultural lime in our pen. We clean it once a week, throw down new pine shavings and apply the Agricultural Lime on top. We even put that lime inside every nest box. The broody hens still had mites. Years ago, when i began using Frontline Plus on my dogs, it was costing me a ton of money. I did my research and found that the Frontline is the same whether its for a large, small or medium breed dog. Its the amount you use that is different. It will work within hours. Changing the bedding , applying the frontline, and setting her back with her eggs should work just fine. You will not have to wait 4 days. You need to just google whether dog and cat Frontline is different. I really couldnt tell you. Im pretty sure ive seen frontline in Petsmart, if it turns out they are different. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom