Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Is it correct that lice (and by extension mites) are hatching every day? I assume yes.

I received a rooster that is heavily infested, showing both live & dead critters with significant build up of egg "cement" under wings and around the vent area.

I am treating with Sulphur powder and spray Permethrin (still winter here so being very cautious to not chill him). Will follow a 28 day (four 7 days) cycle for Permethrin; intermediate Sulphur treatments as live lice detected.

Lice "eggs hatch in 4-5 days, with three immature (nymph) stages each taking 3-4 days between molts to the next life stage". I believe this means that they are capable of laying eggs within 13-17 days?

Questions:

1. I believe that Permethrin kills on contact? For how many days is it effective?

2. Best way to remove “egg cement” buildup? {I saw one article saying vinegar (ie acidic acid) another saying oil, another saying cut it off.)

Thank you.

This is the Pic I have been referring to:

stages-of-poultry-lice.jpg

Yes.

Will get pics. It is milky white in color, no idea how much is egg VS "glue" used to "cement" them to feather bases. Amount indicates build up over time.
Yikes!
Kinda hard to differentiate between eggs and casings(glue).
Curious to see pics if you can get them.

Amount indicates build up over time.
No doubt. I would do 3 permethrin treatments spaced at 7 days.
Then keep a close eye on him for any survivors.

Yikes!

I would do 3 permethrin treatments spaced at 7 days.
I have found references that say 4 cycles for lice so will do that.
Then keep a close eye on him for any survivors.
Currently have a healthy coop/run, will do my best to keep it that way.

Thank you for chiming in. Will do.
Both lice and mites need to be stopped before they get to the reproducing age.
That age can change/isn't exact always.

It's better to treat unless days than it would be to treat in more days.
I would not wait seven or eight days if I were you. You don't want the little suckers to get to the egg laying stage again.

Back
Top Bottom