Life is changing for us, and it is not for a positive reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is just feeling insecure Deb. Knowing that hardly makes you feel better but just remember its not what you did. It has everything to do with how he feels. Well that and he is still a man. Sick or not, men draw the idiot card every now and then.

He is just feeling insecure Deb. Knowing that hardly makes you feel better but just remember its not what you did. It has everything to do with how he feels. Well that and he is still a man. Sick or not, men draw the idiot card every now and then.

That made me laugh. His idiot card is in good standing!!!

There is more you can do to better his chances. My grandfather had end stage emphysema and lived 15 years longer after he was diagnosed! Fist thing you did right....quit smoking completely! Second is do not allow ANYONE to smoke in your home, car or near him. Third is to have someone thoroughly scrub down your walls, ceilings, floors, upholstry, drapes etc. This really helped my grandfather a lot. Clean the vents too. The residual gets into everything! I would like to add that I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it is well worth it. In the end, the emphysema did not kill my grandfather....cancer did. Best of luck and my hopes and thoughts are with you.

Ken has forgiven me for my indiscretion that never happened.
roll.png
We went to church today for the final membership classes and it was a good time. We also set up our 8 person tent to see if it was what we would want when we go camping. It is perfect for two people!!! HAHAHA! Good thing I know a thing or two about camping. He was impressed. He should be.

A few days later now and he has let me know he is starting to feel depressed again. I am thankful for his honesty and willingness to share that with me - a lot of men would not. I am thankful for that silly game Draw Something, because it has us going back and forth on our phones drawing impossible things that we have managed to guess and it takes his mind off of things.

Big Bear this weekend to see how he handles the elevation.....

so sorry to hear about your hubby. HUGE hug first, and then some information that may help.

hugs.gif

My FIL had COPD (similar) and did pretty well for a couple of years once he got proper treatment. I spent quite a number of years working in respiratory medical device design, so I've been around respiratory issues quite a bit.

you will want to make sure you talk with a Respiratory Therapist who specializes in Rehab. there are lots of things your hubby may be able to do to improve how he feels and functions, in addition to medications and things the doctors prescribe. often the RTs know quite a bit more about improving function and quality of life than the Dr.s do... especially those trained and experienced in rehab. they specialize in recovering lost ground, and some good improvements can be made, sometimes extending the time, sometimes making it better quality time.

also ask the RT and your Doc for things to watch out for that indicate a need for change in therapy/drugs. some things, like personality changes, are quite common as a result of oxygen deprivation - my FIL was angry, short tempered, paranoid - all of which cleared up when he got on oxygen and the proper drugs. often things like short-temper or anxiety can come from pain but they can also come from low oxygen in the blood, and some of those things can benefit from behaivor changes as well as medication changes.

one of the things a rehab RT can do is teach him how to evaluate his limits more correctly - his body has changed and he needs to know what he can push, and what he shouldn't. often with respiratory issues, people will let their "out of breath" sensation stop them from proceeding... in fact, they *may* be able to proceed even though they feel out of breath. this is where the rehab RT's experience is really important - they can help your hubby understand what he actually can do - even though his past experience might tell him differently.

one of the things I heard from rehab RTs over and over is that people loose far more function than they need to, and lose it far faster than they should, mostly because the doctors, while skilled in diagnosis and medication, aren't skilled in rehab or extending a person's quality of life.

there's a good possibility your Dr. won't be eager to put your hubby in the care of a Rehab Respiratory Therapist. be a bulldog, insist and don't take no for an answer.

one more of these:
hugs.gif
x2 My husband was originally told he had maybe 1 year ,but with great respiratory therapists at the Los angeles VA hospital he lived another 10 years Until the last few months he was still able to get around in a wheelchair and continue his accounting practice It was not always easy and took some great effort for both of us to cope,but it was worth it. I don't know you but have followed your many posts here. Please PM me if you need to talk My prayers and love go out to you both.Please don't always take the doctors word and always question what else can be tried.

We have a source from Hospice that helped my best friend when her hubby was dying that is helping us out with the disability and MediCal applications. Social Security disability is apparently turned down 2-3 times before finally being approved, which really chaps my hide. Especially with someone with a diagnosis like this.

Debi, not always When my husband was diagnosed he was approved the fist time after going through the exam by the disability dr.If they do turn him down find a good disability attorney right away They won't ask for a fee until you get an approval. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.BTW Hospice is a great help.

Hi Deb,
Haven't been around for a while and just came across this thread tonight. I am saddened by Ken's diagnosis, but hearing from so many who had the same and far exceeded their original expectations is hopeful. As always, I am just amazed and inspired by your strength, determination, and love for your family.
hugs.gif
Keeping you in my prayers.

Hi Deb,
Haven't been around for a while and just came across this thread tonight. I am saddened by Ken's diagnosis, but hearing from so many who had the same and far exceeded their original expectations is hopeful. As always, I am just amazed and inspired by your strength, determination, and love for your family.
hugs.gif
Keeping you in my prayers.

I am not sure it is strength any more than it is God's given bull driven will that I have. I refuse to take any wrong laying down. And this is wrong :( We are heading to Big Bear Lake in the morning to see how he does with the elevation - forgive me if I am repeating myself, plans around here seem to change at a moment's notice.

Debi, not always When my husband was diagnosed he was approved the fist time after going through the exam by the disability dr.If they do turn him down find a good disability attorney right away They won't ask for a fee until you get an approval. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.BTW Hospice is a great help.

I am very thankful to say that you are right!!! He was told that he should see his first payment in about 2 weeks. I am so very glad to not have the added stress of appeals. Now I need to go post on the "Tell me something good today" thread in random. Cuz today was FUN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom